Oh yes he's only gone and done it!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Keep at it!

I tryed to work it out and I think it has taken me about 15years to do, (First attempts being at scouts

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Red cedar is a great hearth.
The wood they use in pallets is pretty good as well - and it's cut to the right thickness. I guess it's pine of some sort but not sure
Sycamore, willow, ivy will all work. Try all sorts of combinations and see what works.
Just let us know how you get on ;)

Cheers

Mark

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Will do!

I am sure I have seen some pictures on here of peoples bow drill sets with a specifically made block for the top, with bone inserts etc, but can't find a link if anyone can would be good! (However I could have drempt it!)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I know Hoodoo has a couple he posted pictures i while back. i have one that has a copper cup in it I'll take a photo. I have a little piece of soap stone i want to put in a piece of antler I'm waiting on a some red deer antler so I'll be using a piece of that when it comes.

James

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
jdlenton said:
I know Hoodoo has a couple he posted pictures i while back. i have one that has a copper cup in it I'll take a photo. I have a little piece of soap stone i want to put in a piece of antler I'm waiting on a some red deer antler so I'll be using a piece of that when it comes.

James

That would be good!

Antler!! now there is a thought!

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Well done Pignut, great pictures as well!

I have had my successes so far with a willow on willow combination.
Next to the smile I could also be reminded of my efforts (and success) by the smell of my fingers. The bearing block smoked furiously as well and turned my fingers into smoked beef :D

But ever since my first four successes, when I try to capture 'the trick' on film or show it to interested bystanders my bow-line snappes before a succesfull attempt :aargh4:
I have used several materials, but haven't found a trustfull string just yet. They either seem to melt or to wear and break.
I think that might be the downside of my drill, its quite smoothe and I need an awfull lot of bow-line tension to make it "grab" the drill. That might speed up the wear...

I haven't mastered it just yet...

Bob

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
bloodline said:
congratulations you old stick rubber, can you get down to Oxford this weekend and join the rest of us. :You_Rock_

Sorry mate! would love to but got other bushcrafty activitys planned

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
took an other efford with the 'egyptian' type drill arrangement (no bow-line rubbing, therefore no wear as well) and succeeded the first attempt. :D

I must say, it keeps on being really rewarding when you see that gloing ember.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I've just gone and done it myself

Had a slow half hour at work so took the kit Bloodline had sorted for me at the first Kent meet and got to it in the car-park

First attempt, had loads of smoke but stopped to soon

Then remembered him saying 'once you think it's going, give it another thirty seconds going hammer and tong'

Second attempt, loads of smoke after a couple of seconds, went for it
Ended up with an ember the size of a small pea!
Was going to try and take it to flame but didn't think I'd need a fire in the car-park

And then came that silly grin for the next half hour :D

Anyway, now for my Gwyneth Paltrow moment
Thanks to Bloodline for the kit and advice
Thanks to Rich59 for the suggestion to get it above ground level to ease my aching back

Gentlemen .... :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE