Need a warm sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I agree with Jason, skin next to skin or light layers helps generate body heat.

I'm prepared to be persuaded if you can substantiate that with some science. Why does it help generate body heat?

I am reminded here of my grandparents. When a lightbulb blew, which they often did in those days, my grandfather would take out the bulb. My grandmother would then come behind him and stick a cork in the socket. She reasoned that it would be unsafe with no bulb in the socket because if somebody should switch on the light the electicity would spill out all over the floor and fill the room with dangerous electicity. Interesting theory - no basis in fact!

Oh dear! I'm with you twice now mountainm - I give up!

Last edited:

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
"So putting clothes on makes you colder...how?"
Well when Kylie Minogue put on those wee tight gold hot pants, I had to go for a cold shower.
Come to think about it I used to put clothes on everyday for 32 years to make me colder.

still wisney me

Last edited:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
im not a big fan of down bags, the ammount of times the condensation that forms in the woodland has left my kit slightly damp makes me thankful i use a synthetic bag.

for summer use i use s snugpack sofie, as for a warm bag, i have a woodlore golden eagle for this time of year :)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
What i am saying is if you wear clothes in your sleeping bag your body does not heat the bag up hence you get cold ,this is made even worse if the clothes are in the least bit damp
if you go into your bag in the buff you heat the bag and stay warm all night
You dont need to try it if you dont want to and you dont need listen to me but i works for me

And KINGPIN had said that he wears his clothes in his bag i am just giving him my point of view and something to try different

Jason

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What i am saying is if you wear clothes in your sleeping bag your body does not heat the bag up hence you get cold

The reason your bag doesn't heat up is because your clothes are trapping that heat against your body, which means you are warmer. Heat dissipates from the body - ie. you are a radiator. So what we are trying to achieve is stopping that heat from leaving the body. The closer to the body we can trap that heat the warmer you will stay. By removing the insulating barrier - the heat then radiates out quicker until it hits another barrier. The quicker this heat is "lost" the quicker your body cools down.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i would recomend a Snugpak RE i have one myself and would higly recomend them as a winter bag. cost is about £120 costly compared to to surpluss though.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I think it will depend on lifestyle and whether they are hot or cold blooded person.
Best experiment and see what suits you.
phil

Last edited:

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
The reason your bag doesn't heat up is because your clothes are trapping that heat against your body, which means you are warmer. Heat dissipates from the body - ie. you are a radiator. So what we are trying to achieve is stopping that heat from leaving the body. The closer to the body we can trap that heat the warmer you will stay. By removing the insulating barrier - the heat then radiates out quicker until it hits another barrier. The quicker this heat is "lost" the quicker your body cools down.

YOU CAN SAY THAT IN BIG CAPITAL LETTERS TEN TIMES OVER IF YOU WANT I STILL DONT AGREE WITH YOU !!!!!! AND I WILL DO IT MY WAY AND NOT GET COLD

SO IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY TIME YOU TWITTER ON ABOUT THE SAME THING I WAS GIVING MY POINT OF VEIW TO KINGPIN

Jason

PS am off to shoot a bear

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
YOU CAN SAY THAT IN BIG CAPITAL LETTERS TEN TIMES OVER IF YOU WANT I STILL DONT AGREE WITH YOU !!!!!! AND I WILL DO IT MY WAY AND NOT GET COLD

SO IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY TIME YOU TWITTER ON ABOUT THE SAME THING I WAS GIVING MY POINT OF VEIW TO KINGPIN

Jason

Good for you, I was explaining the science behind my opinion.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The Sleeping Bag question comes up pretty often, and depends on how you sleep (hot/cold) and price. By the sound of it, your getting a miserable nights sleep, and since a 3 season should get you down to about zero comfortably (you hope), your probably sleeping cold. You could go for a fleece liner (about a tenner if you look in TKMaxx), but a new bag seems a better bet.

Personally, I'd get the warmest bag I could for my budget. A quick look on Ebay brings up surplus 'arctic' bags from £10, although £40 seems more average, but they will big relatively big and heavy. I've got an old (very old) Snugpak Osprey (which isn't bad, but Snugpak bags have the reputation of being optimistic in their ratings), but when I can afford to change, it'll be a down bag (less bulk, weight and a lot cheaper than they used to be). You might find one cheap on ebay, but realistically you paying about £150. But for £140 you get the highly rated Alpkit SkyeHigh 800 http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16321&category_id=286, which is the one I've got my eye on. They've got a good guide to buying a bag http://www.alpkit.com/spotlight/choosing-a-down-sleeping-bag

If you want a surplus bag, ring Kevin at Endicotts. They don't have them on the site, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't get them, and you'll know you'll get top kit from them. If they quote a price/grade, then that is the price you should be paying for it.

Also think about your sleeping mat - they can make a real difference.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have just done the last 48 hrs out fishing and on both nights I have gone to sleep dressed, by 2am I have been chilly. After stripping to my shorts and t-shirt I have warmed up within minutes. Last night I woke around 4am overheating and had to open the bag up to cool.

I know there is no common logic behind this but it works for me too. Also the clothes I remove are stuffed to the bottom of my bag which insulates my feet ( the only bit that gets cold on me) then I just drag them out in the morning reasonably warm.

I would recommend trying it and making up your own mind.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
For what it's worth, & I haven't a clue as to whom I'm in accordance with as I've lost track with all this ping- ponging (smiley here) tis my personal experience & opinion that sleeping in the buff keeps you wamer than wearing clothes in a bag. I have no scientific evidence for this, but it is body heat that warms up a bag & by wearing layers you prevent a large amount of heat escaping thus keeping the air between you & the interior of the bag cool. Clothes to me would be better used on the outside of the bag, preventing any warmed air escaping.
Layers are fine when moving about & you don't want to loose heat to the outside but in a bag you do want a certain amount of heat loss to warm up the bag & keep it at a comfortable temperature.

" where have all the smilies gone,
long time passing "

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
When out in the hills I keep my socks on at bedtime, but I like this idea - YOINK! :D

Yeah keep my socks on too, but for me especially when I'm fishing need to get out of bed quickly. I tried those neoprene socks but made my feet sweat way too much.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
In reply to the original question, for most of the year I use a snugpak softie 3. When it gets really cold I swap to a Nanok -25. If hammocking I use a self inflating mat as I can't get along with underquilts, if ground dwelling I use the same mat but include an issue bivvy bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE