Neat shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Nice looking setup ... a poncho that turns into a shelter!
Super duel-use kit.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
already made one :-D 2 years ago!

i have made an adapted version for the British army basha!

both work well, both are ...cosy, i am 5"11 and don't quite fit in the poncho one, the British one i can stretch out in!

i shall give you the pole dimentions in a while!

oh i got all my poles free from my old shop, reject tent poles. :wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Did you use fibreglass poles or aluminium?

RAPPLEBY2000 said:
oh i got all my poles free from my old shop, reject tent poles. :wink:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
fiberglass, cxan't afford the alloy ones(they were free after all!)

you will not find that electrical plug anywhere!

i glued a very tight fitting washer onto each end of the pole which has the same effect!

expect the poles to writh around madly! i got fed up and taped them together!

because my poles were cheap, they were long, so when folded my poles are around 18" long so will fit in my bergen but not really a light weight or compact option.(but if alloy used and cut correctly it would be good!).

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
by plug do you mean the "wirenut"?

i think it's a bizarre american wire connecter also known as a dog cock. and no i've never seen them this side of the pond either, except for on imported american equipment.

cheers, and.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
hmmm, just wondering if you could use Hazel for this? NO not that hazel :shock: , I meant the kind that Jack makes his living from. :roll:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I've made one of these :-D Great Idea

If you have a terra nova quasar tent the two short poles are exactly the right leanth for the US issue poncho

the poles will not move around if you tie them at the top with the hood drawcord, and the pole ends fit into the eyelets with out modification when put in at an angle

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sorry no reply i was in the mountains again! :roll:

the wire nut as suggested, i could not find.

my method was to find a washer that would not pass through the poncho.
the washer just fits over the pole (ie pole goes through but it's tightish).
whenthe poles have been cut to the right length, glue(epoxy resin) the washer in place about an inch from the end of the pole.

it works fine for me!

when i made my "british army basha" version i did exactly the same thing but only made the poles "when crossed" cover 2/3 of the sheet, for two reasons:

1. length of poles = weight,

2. and the spare 1/3 can be used to lie on!

a far more user friendly space! you can even turn over! :lol:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
The "wirenut" is a quick and dirty way of joining two pieces of wire - it's not a plug. The inside is is a hollow taper that follows the same shape as the outside. It's threaded inside too.
You take two pieces of wire you want to join, strip the ends, and then hold them SIDE BY SIDE with the stripped ends pointing the same way. Twist the stripped ends together, then screw the "wirenut" down over the bare twisted wires. The tapered thread digs in and helps hold the bare ends together as well as being an insulated cover.
In the UK, this sort of thing was in common use 40 odd years ago - you see them occasionally when rewiring a house that still has old rubber cable and ceramic light fittings - but they were made out of pottery. I may be wrong as this isn't my day job but I wouldn't expect any electrical factor in the UK to stock the thing in the picture.
As a possible substitute - how about pushing heavy duty plastic tube over the pole - use a friction fit or glue if need be - cheap, easy to repair / replace and can be cut off if need be. It's a trick used on lots of high peformance kites with carbon fibre spars.
Cheers

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
ahem, guys why not just use those pins with a keyring like thingy on the end ? like they use in tents to stick your poles in. just fixed them on the corners of you poncho, the grommets should make it easy enough... avaibale on most places that sells tents.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
a split pin attatched to a split ring ie like you'd find on the side of a hand grenade or fire extinguisher?

it woulden't work on my design, i did look into the idea but it cant work in my design quite a good suggestion if you can get it to work!

when the question is of ease of use, assume the worst, wind and rain? do you want the hastle of cliping bits or loosing parts? no, just simple no fuss and nothing to go wrong.

to answer the earlier question, you could use any sappling that's strong enough just the problem of getting the right length for the tension. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE