montane featherlite smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Yes, in the right conditions. It is very light, windproof and tougher than you'd expect given how thin the material is. Not waterproof though, although proofing helps it deal with a shower.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I tried one on in the store, XL.

it did not fit me (normaly an XL)

they had none larger.

I love go outdoors, I almost always leave empty handed

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have the snugpak version, love mine, good over a micro fleece for keeping the warmth in, good under a smock if wearing a fleece, allows the smock to glide over the fleece smoothly. when it does ever snuff it, i'll get another. worth having in yr bergen.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I tried one on in the store, XL.

it did not fit me (normaly an XL)

they had none larger.

I love go outdoors, I almost always leave empty handed

i'm normally an xl or sometimes, maybe a 2xl, snugpak one is a large!, always buy large in snugpak. good sizing. i'm 6"1, 44 chest. if that helps.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
never had breathability issues until recently when it was used under a very poor 'breathable' waterproof, normally its very good. works a little like a buffalo type arrangement when used with a fleece. thats actually what i use it for most, as a wicking and evaperating layer. it dries so fast that it just helps draw and disperse moisture while keeping out the wind a bit.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I think they're brilliant as a windstopper and they pack down to the size of an apple, so you can chuck it in your pack without a thought. Water resistant to a degree, but even wet will stop windchill. Highly recommended for outdoor stuff EXCEPT near a fire!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
never had breathability issues until recently when it was used under a very poor 'breathable' waterproof, normally its very good. works a little like a buffalo type arrangement when used with a fleece. thats actually what i use it for most, as a wicking and evaperating layer. it dries so fast that it just helps draw and disperse moisture while keeping out the wind a bit.

Agree, breathability is very good.

Oh that's good then! Even breathable when it's hot out? How does it fare when you're carrying a rucksack? I really hate wearing a hardshell jacket with a rucksack because it just traps all the moisture so I'm pondering an alternate solution - wicking teeshirt & breathable layer (windproof), and a poncho for the wet. Think it's up to the job?

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I love mine. I bought one as an replacement for an old Buffalo top that I'd butchered into a windshirt. The Montaine folds down tiny and so there's no excuse to not have one with you when out and about. I wear mine everyday under my bike leathers on my ride to work. I thought it was a bit thin at first, especially compared to the Buffalo pertex tops but it's a great bit of kit and well worth the cash.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i use mine as a windtop on my mountain bike even in the summer. just soaks up the sweat and dries out. it'll be fine for rucksack use, put a fleece under it, or a woolly jumper. or base layers. i like mine thats for sure. think height of summer hiking with a heavy rucksack would certainly test it. they are really meant for activity where weight needs to be kept down. but it would allow you to keep a waterproof on yr rucksack for longer i reckon, before u have to wear it.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm pondering an alternate solution - wicking teeshirt & breathable layer (windproof), and a poncho for the wet. Think it's up to the job?

That Depends on where you're going and what you're doing. Climbing Zero Gully in Feb and your proposed set up will struggle..

Low level walking it would work well. Hill walking in wet and windy weather might be a bit of a challenge.

An ultra lightweight windproof layer such as the Montane or a Buffalo windshirt is a really good bit of kit. They are so light that you can chuck em in your rucksack for every trip. You get a highly windproof layer that cuts the wind and also allows air trapped beneath it to warm up.

Don't expect it to last too long if your next to an open fire with sparks and embers around however.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
That Depends on where you're going and what you're doing. Climbing Zero Gully in Feb and your proposed set up will struggle..

Low level walking it would work well. Hill walking in wet and windy weather might be a bit of a challenge.

An ultra lightweight windproof layer such as the Montane or a Buffalo windshirt is a really good bit of kit. They are so light that you can chuck em in your rucksack for every trip. You get a highly windproof layer that cuts the wind and also allows air trapped beneath it to warm up.

Don't expect it to last too long if your next to an open fire with sparks and embers around however.

I'm not much for high altitudes, not up mountains anyway. I'd expect to use it as an outer in mild and hot weather, spring through to autumn when a hardshell isn't needed.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
I have one they are brilliant especially for running and walking. really just takes the bite out of the wind and better water repelency than I expected. Much more breathable than other running tops I've used. Its so good my wife has confiscated it when I tried to trade it on here and I am about to get a new one a size bigger.

If you want to wear with a base and a fleece go for one size up than usual as they are a trim fit. They go up to XXL.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm not much for high altitudes, not up mountains anyway. I'd expect to use it as an outer in mild and hot weather, spring through to autumn when a hardshell isn't needed.

That's what its good at as long as you don't mind getting wet as it won't stop heavy or persistent rain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE