Margarine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a tub but unless I bake (rare) I dont eat much at all.

and halfway though the tub goes mouldy.

does marg freeze like butter?

or should I forget the marg and simpley freeze butter in little pats, so i can have it whenever I fancy?

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would go for butter every time. Tastes much better and is just as versitile. My own preference is for organic slightly salted. Must go and make some toast! :rolleyes:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah lurpak light is pretty darn sweet. Freeze butter instead. Marg is nasty.....well its not nasty, jus' weird as heck.......

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
First time I've ever heard of marg going mouldy... It's not really food, IMHO, just a syntehtic grease that resembles food. ;)

As I recall, even rats won't eat it - and they'll eat soap!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great comments guys, keep 'em coming.

Now spare a thought for someone who developed an allergy to ALL cows milk derivatives about 8 years ago......

So I get to eat, no ice cream, chocolate, custard, flavoured crisps (whey powder), etc etc. I've had no option but to turn into a label studying geek in the supermarket, and I have to check everytime because manufacturers change their recipe's :censored:

Therefore I get to spread my toast with "Pure" axle grease and have gravy on my Christmas Pudding - (now thats worth a try ;) )

ATB

Ogri the trog

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Ogri the trog said:

Now spare a thought for someone who developed an allergy to ALL cows milk derivatives about 8 years ago......

So I get to eat, no ice cream, chocolate, custard, flavoured crisps (whey powder), etc etc. I've had no option but to turn into a label studying geek in the supermarket, and I have to check everytime because manufacturers change their recipe's :censored:

Therefore I get to spread my toast with "Pure" axle grease and have gravy on my Christmas Pudding - (now thats worth a try ;) )

ATB

Ogri the trog

gravy on Christmas pud :eek: :D :cool: and i thought i was mad having it with white sauce for breakfast on boxing day;)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Margarine…Yuk! Anything that needs to be produced using nickel catalysts etc. won’t find itself being spread on my toast.
Butter/ghee lard/dripping…mmm! Olive oli…mmm…toast with olive oil and cinnamon sugar.
Now I’m hungry!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ogri the trog said:

ATB

Ogri the trog

Sympathise........I'm finding milk products really hard to digest sometimes.
Vitalite tastes better than Pure, and it's dairy free :)
HWMBLT refuses to have margarine, and says, "If we're going to eat fat, we're going to eat *good* fat; buy butter!" "Yes, dear." :rolleyes: :D

Chers,
Toddy

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
I was thinking, :confused: your problem with the margine going mouldy.
It's not the margine going mouldy but more probably remains of food off of your knife.
Try using a clean knife and pull out how much you need so you don't put the knife back in the tub once you've been speading you toast with it :rolleyes: .

p.s keep in a cool place

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I can'nt remember where i read it (but was'nt too long ago, so i know i didn't imagine it), but marg is only 1 or 2 molecules away from some plastics. Scary, i know. Will try and find where i read it, but pretty sure it was a sensible source and not just a web story.
Butter every time for me, and lots of it :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
baggins said:
I can'nt remember where i read it (but was'nt too long ago, so i know i didn't imagine it), but marg is only 1 or 2 molecules away from some plastics. Scary, i know. Will try and find where i read it, but pretty sure it was a sensible source and not just a web story.
Butter every time for me, and lots of it :D

Lots of things are “a molecule away” from other things, we were taught that fluoride helps your teeth, but it is just a single ion from being fluorine (not even a molecule off), which could dissolve your teeth. Fluoride, by the way is a known carcinogenic agent.
Hydrogen peroxide (H 2O2) is “one molecule from" water (H 2O), which would you want to drink?
Ozone (O3) is “one molecule from" oxygen (O2) one is good, one is bad?
Sugar is one molecule away from plastic, and only a half a molecule away from wood (cellulose)
The whole margarine a plastic is rubbish, and (if people bothered to check their fact) a long dead urban legend, but still trotted out by anti(anything) people. It most likely comes from its listing in some flammability rating. In the USA it is listed alongside some plastics. Mainly because of the difficulty in extinguishing it.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Yes, that's true, a lot of things are molecules away from other things. One molecule makes a big difference ;)
If lead had three less protons & electrons, twould be gold... alchemists at the ready :rolleyes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Tadpole said:
Lots of things are “a molecule away” from other things, we were taught that fluoride helps your teeth, but it is just a single ion from being fluorine (not even a molecule off), which could dissolve your teeth. Fluoride, by the way is a known carcinogenic agent.
Hydrogen peroxide (H 2O2) is “one molecule from" water (H 2O), which would you want to drink?
Ozone (O3) is “one molecule from" oxygen (O2) one is good, one is bad?
Sugar is one molecule away from plastic, and only a half a molecule away from wood (cellulose)
The whole margarine a plastic is rubbish, and (if people bothered to check their fact) a long dead urban legend, but still trotted out by anti(anything) people. It most likely comes from its listing in some flammability rating. In the USA it is listed alongside some plastics. Mainly because of the difficulty in extinguishing it.

Spot on, good post!

It reminds me of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide.

The Invisible Killer

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted
thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental
inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there.
Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage.
Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and
possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance.
For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream,
lake, and reservoir in Britain and the US. But the pollution is global,
and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has
caused millions of dollars of property damage in the UK.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains
contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done
to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is
extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The British government has refused to ban the production, distribution,
or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic
health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military
organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing
multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations.
Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a
highly sophisticated underground distribution network.
Many store large quantities for later use.

Beware.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Toddy said:
Vitalite tastes better than Pure, and it's dairy free :)
Chers,
Toddy

Toddy,
The tub I checked this morning contains Lactic Acid, which has caused reaction in the past so I'm going to give it a sidestep too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ahh :( Sorry Ogri, I didn't think about that being a problem since it says, " no dairy", I just presumed it was plant/ yeast product and didn't think about it being a problem itself.

atb,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
butter will freeze, salted won't freeze well for long because of the salt content (6-12 weeks, like bacon), unsalted will keep longer. I freeze pats of home made garlic, or herb butter, lasts well.

I took utterly butterly (or something like that) to the moot, packed in tubes you fill yourself, worked well, no mould (also took jam in a tube, really nice and not messy). To be honest, I use olive oil a lot at home now, spread on bread with grated cheese is lovely, but every once in a while, an egg, slow fried in butter, served on hot toast is a real treat :)

I sympathise with anyone with an allergy to dairy products :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE