LK70 where to get one? or a LK35 perhaps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
Hi all,

Does anyone know where to get a LK70? Fancy an external pack so I can lump wood about but worried the 35 might run a bit small, I'm 6'2" so if you're about my height and have a LK35 let me know how it fits. Found a site in Sweden for the LK70 but hoping for a UK option if possible.

Over to you!

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
Thanks Ian, I'd get a LK35 from Endicotts if that's what I end up with as I can add in some other stuff. Ideally I'd like feedback on back length of the 35 for a taller user as it doesn't have a waist belt. From what I've read there's not much difference in frame sizes between them but having a larger pack to go with it would be lovely:)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi, I have an lk35. Am 5ft 10 and find the pack sits just above my hips. I used for an overnighter last weekend, it wad fully loaded with all my winter gear, weighed a ton but the bag can take it as its seriously tough. Any way, despite the load (close to 50Ib) the bag was very comfortable to carry for the mile or so to my campsite. The external frame definitely helps to raise the pack off of your back.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
No can't say I find it a particular issue personally but then again the pack can be modified by adding a waist strap from a us alice pack. Check out the youtube channel 'mcq bushcraft' where he put a review up recently on the lk50 (practically the same pack) but with some nice modifications.

Jan 27, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi all,

Does anyone know where to get a LK70? Fancy an external pack so I can lump wood about but worried the 35 might run a bit small, I'm 6'2" so if you're about my height and have a LK35 let me know how it fits. Found a site in Sweden for the LK70 but hoping for a UK option if possible.

Over to you!

Greetings, first time poster here!

As you say, lots of "Ryggsäck 35L,K" and "Ryggsäck 70L,K" here in Sweden (those are the official designations btw), both in cotton canvas and Cordura, used and unused. I thought MilitaryMart carried them but now notice they are out of stock there. Anyway, I'm 6'3" and regretfully a tad too long for the 70L,K, which is a great pack otherwise. No problems with the 35L,K, but I don't use it with a waistbelt. If I did, the waistbelt would be too high up (on my body, anyway).

Btw, time to debunk a myth: There is no such thing as an "LK50".

Mats

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
Thanks for the responses, I've bought a LK 35, I'll probably replace the shoulder straps before seeing if a waist belt is possible. I like the ability to slot a bow saw between the frame and bag too.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Btw, time to debunk a myth: There is no such thing as an "LK50".

Mats

I've heard that elsewhere (probably on this forum too) but some people insist on calling their packs an lk50. They all look the same to me as the lk35 seems to carry a lot more than 35 litres.

I see no need to change the shoulder straps as they dont seem to dig in or anything. I also have a snugpak responsepak which can be strapped to the bag very easily and gives you some more capacity.

Jan 27, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
I've heard that elsewhere (probably on this forum too) but some people insist on calling their packs an lk50. They all look the same to me as the lk35 seems to carry a lot more than 35 litres.

There are lots of misconceptions about the Swedish military backpacks. I don't think forumites are to be blamed, rather surplus dealers who know little or nothing about these packs.

One myth is actually the very names used for these packs - "LK35", "LK70" - and the ambitious efforts to explain "LK" part: "lastkapacitet" ("load capacity"), "literkapacitet" (liter capacity) and so on.

As mentioned, the correct names for the most common packs are (Swedish military stock number within parenthesis):

• Ryggsäck 35L,K (M7085-014011)
  • Ryggsäck 35L SJV,K (M7085-014021)
  • Ryggsäck 70L,K (M7085-015011)

"L,K" means "liter, komplett" ("liters, complete" in English, as in "complete" with waistbelt, axle straps, etc.). The second one is the medic pack, which uses the same frame as the 70L,K but a smaller sack (M7085-014168).

I really don't know where the myth about the "LK50" comes from, especially since the 35L,K and the mythic "LK50" are claimed to use the same frame (namely the 35L,K's no. M7085-014128). Anyone with a tape measure realises that the 35L,K is approx. a 30 liter sack, with some extra liters under the lid. On the same frame, you can really only add the extra claimed 20 liters by making the sack expand outwards, since the width and height are fixed by design of the frame - but when checking with people who claim to own an "LK50" it's evident that the difference from, for example, my own standard 35L,K is measured in a few meagre centimeters. This is most likely due to various suppliers and/or revisions of the 35L,K.

There are, however, two other packs that are larger than the 35L,K and smaller than the 70L,K, but these use totally different frames:

• RYGGSÄCK ST (M7085-012119)
  • RYGGSÄCK STÖRRE M MES F FLYGVAPNET (M7085-013001)

Then there are ofcourse the very old packs (e.g., m/39) and the more recent ones (e.g., Ryggsäck 2000 (M7085-103010) and RYGGSÄCK 110L FSKJ (M7085-021010)).

Hope this helps.

Mats

Reactions: Anglo American

Bongonaut

Sep 12, 2014
Yorkshire
I have recently purchased and used the lk35 and lk50 (if it exists!) both have the same frames,not sure what the lk50 is if it's not an lk50? It's considerably larger but certainly not 70ltr,side by side it's obvious it's bigger...great size for a couple of winter nights(lk50).
I use the 35 for wood collection and bumbling around...
Added a U.S. alice pack belt and straps from Fleabay to the frame ,I had shot blasted and repainted (ocd?) works a treat...I'm 5'10 and built like a travellers whippet..sits nice on the hips..

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ideally I'd like feedback on back length of the 35 for a taller user as it doesn't have a waist belt.

My new (to me) LK35 had its first outing yesterday and I am well pleased with it.
I am 6'6" tall and on my other pack (newish Karrimor Jaguar 65, with adjustable back system) I found that it was most comfortable for me with the distance between the shoulder strap attachment and the centre of the hip belt to be 19". To achieve a similar set-up with the LK35 I had to lower the back webbing as far as it would go and move the shoulder straps up to the top rail of the frame. It was very comfortable for me and, with a total weight of 9.5kg , I didn't feel that it needed a hip belt. I will make one for it anyway, as there will be times when I want to carry a bit more weight.

LK35b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE