Kit review - Glowring X2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Probably because they have stricter laws regarding the ownership of radioactive materials in the US than in the UK.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
In the US you need a NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) license for more that 1000 microcuries of H3 (tritium) - a betalight holds nearly 2000 times this amount. I believe that a glowring contains about 100 microcuries ... so the amount of tritium in a glowring is 20000 times less than in a betalight!!!!

However, no need to really worry ... the radioactive particles can't escape the plastic (they can only penetrate it by approx 0.001 cm) and even if you were to break a betalight, the exposure is much less than you get from a chest x-ray or flying.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Just by way of warning... The old style glowrings are not as robust as they might be. I've broken several over the past few years, usually by dropping them onto hard surfaces. The Pyrex vial snaps on sharp impact, and they no longer glow. (OK, actually, they are still glowing a tiny bit as the H3 is still contained, but they aren't effective any longer)

Can't comment on the new ones, as I don't remember where I''ve put the small number I have...

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi. I have fitted one of those red flashing LED lights to my dog's collar and it works up to 100m. Dogs apparently cant see red light so it doesnt seem to distract him. But when the ******* thinks he's hiding from me he gets very confused when he can hear my voice calling directly to him!

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Hi. I have fitted one of those red flashing LED lights to my dog's collar and it works up to 100m. Dogs apparently cant see red light so it doesnt seem to distract him. But when the ******* thinks he's hiding from me he gets very confused when he can hear my voice calling directly to him!

i sometimes stick a glowstick on mines, doesnt bother them.

are you trying to be the next indianna jones BTW, this thread is ancient LOL

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
It's so ancient that the websites aren't even around anymore ;) I want some of that high powered goodstuff betalite... i'm deep enough in the woods that i'll not have to worry about FED geiger counters sniffing for a license. Plus, what can you really do with 2000 microcuries of H3 anyway? Kill X-KGB agents while they're on vacation?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
mmmm Tritium can be a bit dodgy, i use night fishing light sticks. They're about 2 inches long and bright enough to map read, they can be seen for a fair distance aswell. I get mine from ebay, i get 50 for about a fiver, you have to bend and crack them like a cyalume stick but they glow for hours and hours.

Gray

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE