HEXAMINE. PLEASE READ!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob.L.

Sep 1, 2014
Somerset
Hi guys,
Long time no see from me but I have a bit of information that will be important to some kit users.

As of 1st of October 2023 the posession of Hexamine in ANY concentration became illegal with a maximum sentence for posession of 2 years and/or a fine.
A link to all regulated substances can be found here:
I understand that many of you will still have stuff now covered by the change in the law so for real enthusiasts you may wish to consider licensing. For those who don't I suggest you use it all up in the near future.
In my experience with the Home Office, pertaining to all things chemical, they have been fair and reasonable and unless circumstances were aggravated I doubt that any of you are at risk of prosecution.
That said the law is the law so best not put it to the test.
Best Regards
Rob. L.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the heads up. They don't seem to have publicised it and there's a lot of things they've restricted.

It also seems strange, looks like they've restricted oxalic acid crystals but they are still for sale? (Used in bee keeping, wood working etc).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use oxalic acid to remove rust stains from clothing.

I knew nothing about it being banned.

I know it is used by other folks too, for many reasons.

Why was this not publicised ?

Just read through the list....this is untenable.
Magnesium sulphide is the precursor for the sulphate that I use to make tofu.....like thousands of other people do.

What's next ? they going to ban salt ??
After all it looks dangerous ....Na+Cl- :rolleyes:

What jobsworth came up with this ?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It's something I need to look into a bit more when I have time. Looks like the Hexi has just been added but the Oxalic and other items have been restricted since 2015.

It may be like the recent tightening of owning reloading components - it's only an offence if you intend to break the law. Or it may be another case of criminalizing a huge amount of people without their knowledge.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
It is there in black and white on the home office link posted by Rob.L

Criminal offences​

Importing, acquiring, possessing and using​

It is an offence for a member of the public to import, acquire, possess or use any of the substances without holding a valid EPP licence issued by the Home Office.

If found guilty of this offence, there is a maximum penalty of 2 years’ imprisonment and/or a fine.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Better yet, they want to charge £39.50 for the licence, I haven't yet sussed out if that is a licence for each and every individual chemical one might use.
I suspect you’d need to justify EACH item you’d want so likely to be a licence each.
Further more, if there is an alternative availible the licence would be refused and you won’t get a refund!

Edit- seems to be one licence with categories then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob.L.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Better yet, they want to charge £39.50 for the licence, I haven't yet sussed out if that is a licence for each and every individual chemical one might use.
No, it's one licence to put you on the books.
However, it doesn't apply if you use EPP chemicals for business use (it's home use only because you might be a dangerous subversive rather than someone being taxed).
Like conc nitric for etching jewellery, for example...

Reactions: Toddy

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seems to be one license but has to be amended (for free) if you want use other substances.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Did notice one of the preconditions for getting a license is not having commited an offence under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 section 139 [Having an article with a blade or point in a public place]

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Solid fuel tablets used for cooking on. White, have a bit of a stink to them. Esbit cubes are a well known brand.

Why is in on an explosive precurors list? It's a precursor for RDX.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE