Kit review - Glowring X2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Received some Glowrings through the post last week from Jack at Woodland Organics ( thanks Jack)

The glowrings themselves are a glass cylinder around 2" in length ( including the metal ferules at each end )

I got 4 glowrings 2 blue 1 pink ( for the wife ) and one green , my intention was to give them to the wife n kids at chrimbo :eek:): but I may keep them.

I was hoping to be able to use them on my TA weekends for map reading etc but they really don't throw out enough light. However I can see that they would be very useful for attaching to kit you don't want to lose or as markers , for example I could use two as "arcs of fire " markers , but it may be a dead giveaway to the "baddies"

So , if you were going to get some of these to map read at night then you may be better off with a normal torch, if you need to find something in the dark and don't want to use a torch then attaching one of these babies to you sleeping bag , bergan, socks, could well be the way to go.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Have one on my windmill lighter and one on my compass.

The compass spends most of it's time in a pouch so the luminous paint never gets charged up. A green glowring quite bright enough to let me set and take bearings when it's too dark to see the needle.

Handy gadget and yes they are still perfectly usable well beyond the 10 year half life.

Cheers

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
hmmmmm they look handy

how would they stand up to being attached to a dog collar?

either the old or the new versions

do they break if dropped?

Tant

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've had the old ones on my keys for over a year now and they are still going. I also have some on torches and so on and so far I've not broken a single one. They seem quite robust although I have heard of the caps falling off the newer ones ... I've not had that happen but if I was worried I'd add a blob of epoxy.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
just while i am on about dogs.......

how far away can you see them ?

really only need to see the little blighter 100m or so away but it helps to know which direction :roll:

oh heck for a fiver i can get meself one and see

Tant

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I wouldn't think that they are bright enough to be visible from 100 m unless it was really dark. Say 20 - 50 m. They work great if you use night vision though!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
lol well ya asked...............

just a bit iffy at ebay since i got my fingers burned on a lot of knives that havent appeared after 7 weeks

and the "buy it now" option has never worked well for me

Tant

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
If anyone is thinking of buying one go for the green. It is the brightest, followed by blue.
I have a pink one (no comments or inferences please!) that is is surplus to requirements ( I know....Stop digging!) if anyone wants to try one out on a dog collar etc.
I use the ones I have for finding zip pullers and keys in the dark. For map reading I dont think you can beat one of the old betalights, or my petzl tactikka with its flip down red cover - super piece of kit.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
beachlover said:
If anyone is thinking of buying one go for the green. It is the brightest, followed by blue.
I have a pink one (no comments or inferences please!) that is is surplus to requirements ( I know....Stop digging!) if anyone wants to try one out on a dog collar etc.
I use the ones I have for finding zip pullers and keys in the dark. For map reading I dont think you can beat one of the old betalights, or my petzl tactikka with its flip down red cover - super piece of kit.
Yeah, for map reading you need the power of one of these:
Betalight
Dunno how wise it is to keep 1.9 Curies if Tritium near your vitals ... hasn't hurt me though ... :bu: :borgsmile

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Dunno how wise it is to keep 1.9 Curies if Tritium near your vitals ... hasn't hurt me though ...

Probably better than canesten for a lot of things in that region! :eek:):
PS it explains why you type in soprano :rolmao:

Seriously, if anyone wants to try the spare one I have Pm or mail me. I used it on the dog collar but the little s*d is a terrier and once its in bushes or digging it's no use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE