Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
on Ducky question, this is the reply from our friends in Jokkmokk

In late January/early February we have about 3-4 hours daylight. When we don’t have daylight it is really dark. Especially if you go outside the city, like in the forest or mountain area.
Of course, the snow makes it a bit lighter.

Though, you should know that the national parks are not easy accessible during winter. You cannot drive with car/bus all the way to the border of the parks. For most of the parks it is at least one day skiing/walking to get even to the border of them.

hope this answers your question :)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
IIRC -- decaes old memories -- the Museum of Maritime History (Sjöhistoriska Museet) has some stuff on the polar expeditions, including an umiak. If you are a group you should br able to book a guided trip, just for you. No idea what the cost would be...
Etnografisk museet (Museum of Ethnography) should have some stuff too, but more uncertain there. Some stuffed animals and such in the Museum of Natural History. IIRC the timetables correctly the Nordiska Museet may be closed for renovation. For Wayland 8at least) I suppose that a visit to The museum of History is compulsory. Also The Museum of Medieval Stockholm ?

I won't even bother adding Skansen to the list. Oh, I did...

There is a selection of outdoor stores, of course, but they will mostly sell the same plastic tat that you can buy at home, perhaps a few more overpriced down jackets than in the UK. There is a store run by the Hemslöjden (Slojd Association), but rumors is that the selection there is not what it was a few years ago.

Stockholm that time of year: temperatures from 0 to -20 C, snow or slush on the ground. Make sure to stock up on food before getting on the train, the selection on board is, as can be expected, generally overpriced and undersatisfactory. And the train may be almost as late as a Norwegian parrot.

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
on Ducky question, this is the reply from our friends in Jokkmokk

hope this answers your question :)

Thanks Udamiano, this indeed answers my question. It will dictate the pace of the day. Breaking camp just before first light would give us about 3 hours to move before you have to start building camp again (in order to be set before night falls). If it takes a day to get to the border of a park, we also need to get the logistics well organised.

It also means we need a good lightsource (fire or otherwise) and a hobby, some good conversation topics and some snacks and drinks (for the 20 hours of dark ;)).

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I seem to remember making Snowball soup was a pretty popular hobby last time...
1_smiley_biggrin.gif

udamiano

On a new journey
the museums work out about 6GBP entrance fee, with guided tours at about 5GBP extra per person. the maritime museum is free :).

As for terrible food on trains, we have two letters for it in the UK they are 'BR' :lmao:last I heard their Bacon sandwiches were being used in bullet proof vests :yuck:

Im looking at accommodation in the general area of the museums, so far the best deal is a IYHA, although looking at a few others, will check them out in July

forestwalker

Thanks Udamiano, this indeed answers my question. It will dictate the pace of the day. Breaking camp just before first light would give us about 3 hours to move before you have to start building camp again (in order to be set before night falls). If it takes a day to get to the border of a park, we also need to get the logistics well organised.

You just have to accept travelling in sawn and dusk as well as setting up camp in the gathering dark. Headtorches with battery packs that can go inside the clothes is the way to go. Remember that while there is no sun, and the moon is pretty dark just then, the snow does make even the dark much, much ligther than you may expect.

It also means we need a good lightsource (fire or otherwise) and a hobby, some good conversation topics and some snacks and drinks (for the 20 hours of dark ;)).

I can lead grup meditations... Anything quiet... My expectation is that people will sit in the heated tent(s) and talk and do small crafts for hours. And possilby also imbibe, but alcohol and -35 C is not a combination I really approve of: the changed blood flow patterns and EtOH induced lack of judgement is not good when operating in conditions that can kill in a few hours.

Me, I'll sit in a heated tent and do crafts, meditate or read. Drink tea (pine needle) and talk quietly about the North, the bush, the winter, bushcraft and life in the taiga.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Give me a fire to gaze at and I will be fine ;)
I like the idea of doing crafts, hence the need for some sort of lightsource. I have done two kuksas in the past weeks and am looking to add to the family.
Even for meditation I like a lightsource, to keep my body from thinking it has gone to sleep.

After getting all relaxed and 'in the zone' we can go into debate mode. Bob, you coming along to stir things up?

udamiano

On a new journey
I've got a small travel chess set, I've had it years and used to take it every place i went. there was always someone local who fancied a game or two, made some real friends over a chess board in some real out of the way places, as well as met some brilliant chess players :approve: used to go to whatever represented the local cafe get myself a coffee (never drunk when i was away) and set up me chess set, played a few shadow games against myself, and not long after some would ask if i wanted a game, a real good ice breaker when your far from home, and a pleasant way of spending the hours

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Bob, you coming along to stir things up?

I'm undecided at the moment. Spending time in Sweden simply for the sake of being there does not float my boat, I need a challenge e.g. skiing or climbing. I'll also be pushed for time as I've got a 2 week long Bushmoot and 2 weeks downhill skiing booked using this year's leave allowance. That only leaves another 2 weeks annual leave to see me through to next July!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've nearly always got the kit I need for leather working with me, even if it's in the form of my repairs kit.

Given the supply of craft materials and inspiration from the market and museums I don't think I'll be short of stuff to do.

My challenges are less physical than they used to be these days. I'll be happy just being there and taking stuff in.

It doesn't stop other people going off and pushing themselves if they want though.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well it's approaching the time we need firm commitments for Damian to negotiate with.

The main point is that we need to know numbers so that we can sort out the camp site. (Which looks to be a great opportunity to me.)

I realise that we haven't got firm prices yet and that some other details are still pretty vague, that's the nature of this sort of thing but I know that barring unforeseen circumstances I am definitely going and I know Damian and Pete feel the same.

So.. Who else is going to step up and make this happen?

udamiano

On a new journey
Just to recap. This is a real opportunity to spend some time in one of Europe's finest arctic areas, and experience the culture of the Samni peoples at their annual market in the town of Jokkmokk, which is bounded by 3 of Sweden's large National parks. Not only this, but a chance to experience a real arctic environment for all you Cold junkies out their.
As Wayland posted above at least 3 of us have already committed to going, come what may; However if we can get a descent size group together, everyone can benefit from the discounts offered to parties of 10 or more. Combined with the chance to have our own private campsite just on the outskirts of the town (if we can get the numbers) for a very special price (unfortunately I need to supply numbers to get the price, but IT will be a lot cheaper than staying at the commercial campsite, on the other end of the town.

So folks I don't mind doing the leg work and getting all the prices, negotiating with airlines and hostels, and campsites and getting flights sorted from the UK. but I can only do this if I Have some numbers I can use.

So have a read of the plans highlighted and outlined in this thread, and lets see if we can have a trip to remember (in a good way)

Da

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well if you read back just two posts you would see that we are waiting for people to make some commitment to the trip so that we can negotiate numbers for the camp site.

As it stands Damian, Pete and myself are planning to go on our own because nobody else has responded in 14 days...

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
If I can convince my brother in law that we won't be in constant darkness (he is worried about the limited amount of daylight hours), I am still planning to go to the market and combine it with some ski touring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE