Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The Nordiska Museum looks good too and is in the same area.

The also have a great online collection too.

These museums are great, and as I've been to Stockholm quite often, I can also recommend a couple of others you could visit on your way through....

Skansen open air, living history museum is very interesting and some quite Bushcrafty content...

http://www.skansen.se/en/grid/countryside

and the Vasa ship is amazing...

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

These are all in the same area.

A few other tips. (Most of which you probably already know!)....
Cheapest flights to Stockholm will usually be Ryan Air from Stansted. But typical for them, they don't actually fly to Stockholm, but rather to a town 1.5hrs from the city, so you need to get a bus in to the central train station. Quite easy, but takes up quite a lot of time.
There's another airline called Norwegian who also do quite good fairs, and they fly to the main airport (Arlanda)
Last time I checked there were large secure lockers available at the central station, could be an option whilst you look around the city.
Naturkompaniet ("The Nature Company") Is a chain of outdoors shops with several branches in the centre of town. Very well stocked with lots of Fjällräven etc, but quite pricey!

http://www.naturkompaniet.se/Startpage/Start.aspx

Good luck with the plans, sounds like a great trip.

udamiano

On a new journey
Thanks for you suggestions David :) I did look at ryan air, but also looking at the cost of getting to Stansted, and then getting into Stockholm central on the other side, and the same back again, quickly negated any savings that were gained. Arlanda is North of the City and will also require a bus into the centre, although I was thinking of getting a Stockholm card, as RonW suggests, as this covers public transport within the Stockholm area and the museum entrance fees, and as it's only 2 two days Im thinking of being in Stockholm and most of the others were looking at either a day before or same day before moving onto the northern part of the journey, time and other possible delays, were also factored in.
I've been to Stockholm twice before and both times I wanted to go and have a look at the Vasa ship, but weren't able to due to business meetings, in fact didn't really see much of the city at all, other than an office, a cab, the hotel and the Airport; So it definitely on my list of things to see :).
Everything is expensive in Stockholm, The one thing I've learned traveling around this world, is that all capital cities are basically the same, Nosy, packed, and extremely expensive, the only thing that really changes is the main accents of the people walking around, the rest Im afraid is expertly designed to part you with as much of your hard earn't wages in the most painless, and easiest way as possible. :cool:

Da

Thanks for you suggestions David :) I did look at ryan air, but also looking at the cost of getting to Stansted, and then getting into Stockholm central on the other side, and the same back again, quickly negated any savings that were gained. Arlanda is North of the City and will also require a bus into the centre, although I was thinking of getting a Stockholm card, as RonW suggests, as this covers public transport within the Stockholm area and the museum entrance fees, and as it's only 2 two days Im thinking of being in Stockholm and most of the others were looking at either a day before or same day before moving onto the northern part of the journey, time and other possible delays, were also factored in.
I've been to Stockholm twice before and both times I wanted to go and have a look at the Vasa ship, but weren't able to due to business meetings, in fact didn't really see much of the city at all, other than an office, a cab, the hotel and the Airport; So it definitely on my list of things to see :).
Everything is expensive in Stockholm, The one thing I've learned traveling around this world, is that all capital cities are basically the same, Nosy, packed, and extremely expensive, the only thing that really changes is the main accents of the people walking around, the rest Im afraid is expertly designed to part you with as much of your hard earn't wages in the most painless, and easiest way as possible. :cool:

Da

Sure, Stansted doesn't make sense if it's the wrong end of the country. Norwegian mainly fly from Gatwick, so that prob won't work for you either.
Vasa is amazing, even if you've seen pictures before you go, your jaw still hits the floor the first time you walk in there.
If you are thinking of over nighting in Sthm there's a youth hostel on a ship, which is near the museums. Never stayed there, but looks great...

http://www.svenskaturistforeningen....ndrarhem/STF-Hostel-af-Chapman--Skeppsholmen/

That looks cool. Nice link.

I want to see the Vasa as well but it's going to be a job to fit all the stuff I want to look at into one day I think.

Such is life.

Your welcome, no worries, hope it all comes together. Yep, too much for one day, but maybe on the return leg?

Yep, that certainly look like a fun place to stay. I'm just trying to convince upper management that what she would like would be a nice city break, in the summer and might give the boat a go :cool:

Sounds good, hope she's up for it.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The Vasa is indeed awesome!
And if you happen to have a little extra time on hand make sure you check out the cityhall (has an amazing central hall!) and the old town (gamla stan).
All in all you could easily spend a long weekend in Stockholm and still have things to go see a next time....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Reconnaissance...
Hardhat.gif

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Why not contact Kevin who is an Englishman living in the area and working with the locals and tourism and is or has at least been a member here. He can probably set you up with everything you need (housing, equipment, transports, food) he will probably give you a good deal. Remember market week is the most busiest week of the year up there and prices go up and it´s not easy finding a place to stay during that week.

You can contact keving through his website http://naturallore.com

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Thanks for that Johan, looks like a useful contact.

Will you be anywhere in the area around then?

Not this time, family has takn prioroty at the moment. have been up ther in the summer when hiking isn Sarek and it´s really nice. dont know if it´s still there but I had the best burger of my life in Jokkmokk =)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE