Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Ok folks, In order to progress any further in gathering prices, schedules, time, flights, etc. I am going to need some information from those that have expressed an interest.

Having been in contact wit the local campsites, tourist office, and locals. The main bit of information Im going to need is

1) What are peoples thoughts on accommodation, Im quite happy to go tenting, at either one of the formal campsites, or off somewhere near.

the main options are :

Campsite in a cabin, these are available in 2,4,6 person
Campsite in a tent
Local Hotel
Off in the wilds.

Now before the idea of spending time in the woods living the wild life becomes too strong to resist, Im oblidged to point out that in my discussions with a very nice local lady in Jokkmokk, the tempreture for the period that we are thinking of attending went as low as -40 degress Celcius, and during the market week hovered about the -30 d C mark, with quite a costant level of snow fall throughout the two weeks ( about 2 metres).

Because the Market week is the major event in that part of Sweden, Sites, cabins, and Hotels get booked many months in advance. I would sugest that we would need to make actual preperations no later than July, with things like booking, to get a chance of these places.
Initial prices on flights are about £156 return including taxes, to Stockholm from Manchester, although I'm sure i will be able to better than that.
A 6 bearth carriage on the night train is about £500, although Im awaiting actual confirmation of this from the rail company.

What are peoples thoughts ?

and any questions

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'd happily stay in a snowhole, staying in heated accomodation, for me anyway, defeats the reason for going.

forestwalker

I would stay in the woods, no porpoises in it for me to stay in a cabin. Heated tent will be sewn before then. But remember that -40 C is a whole different ballgame than the -10 or so that this years course got. Much, much smaller margin of error.

udamiano

On a new journey
Sorry in addition i would just like to mention, that Sweden, has a very good access to the countryside policy, even to foreigners, However, there are some very good and sensible rules and regulations attached to this, which are in place to safeguard the wilderness, as long as we abide by these (I am sure all coming would) we are fine to collect wood for fires and shelter, as long, As we cause no Damage and are respectful of the area. You may be asked to demonstrate your understanding of this while you are there. As always a 'leave no trace' policy is in place

Last edited:

forestwalker

Sorry in addition i would just like to mention, that Sweden, has a very good access to the countryside policy, even to foreigners, However, there are some very good and sensible rules and regulations attached to this, which are in place to safeguard the wilderness, as long as we abide by these (I am sure all coming would) we are fine to collect wood for fires and shelter, as long, As we cause no Damage and are respectful of the area. You may be asked to demonstrate your understanding of this while you are there. As always a 'leave no trace' policy is in place
The Department of Natural Resources has a page on the right to roam in English.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
A snowhole or northern lean-to would be my first choice, followed by a tent - but it looks like cutting trees for shelter construction is out and picking up firewood is clearly going to be a problem in the well-used area around the Jokkmokk. Hmmm?!

forestwalker

A snowhole or northern lean-to would be my first choice, followed by a tent - but it looks like cutting trees for shelter construction is out and picking up firewood is clearly going to be a problem in the well-used area around the Jokkmokk. Hmmm?!
Snowhole is possible, best version would be to build an igloo (compact snow, allow to harden, cut blocks), but is not trivial. An open lean-to in -40C would take quite a bit of firewood. The best option is a tent with a woodstove (or somthing like the HeatPal that burns meths, about 1-2 litre/day IIRC). One could either purchase firewood (somewhat pricy firewood, but still) and transport it to the campsite, or manage the more modest demands of the wodstove from legally gathered firewood. And materials for the lean-to is a separate issue: you would need the land-owners permission for that. If we had local contacts we could get permission to cut some wood for bedding and firewood, but I know no one up around there.

forestwalker

Im in contact with Kevin, who lives in the area and is a local Guide and translator for the Tourist Office. Reference Vikings post 35 on this thread, So can ask.
I follow his blog -- unless I misstake the identity -- and he sounds like a good guy. Ideal would be 1. Permission to camp for the duration (right to roam says one night...) 2. Firewood delivered, or permission to take standing deadwood Access to a cabin would be a nice safety blanket, but not totally essential of there is heated tents available.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Uhmmm maybe I'm kicking in open doors, here, but might it be wise to try and think of some headlines, goals or requirements for the meetup first, so you can taylor the needs accordingly?

udamiano

On a new journey
I was going to book a cabin in one of the campsites anyway, for a number of reasons its always a good idea to have a 'plan-B', and also it would be a dry warm place to store and dry kit, or as Wayland noted for the storage and recharging of Camera Batteries.
I asked the question about wood and such to Kevin, and are awaiting his reply (He is quite busy this time of year, so might be a day or two). Yes forest walker, it's the same Kevin, and he is providing some really good links and contacts, and generally being a real standup kind of guy, I think if the lad enjoys a bottle of something, it would be a nice gesture from us to bring him something descent over.

Ron, thats an excellent idea. We are going to be in the area for a week prior to the Market, in one of Sweden's most outstanding areas, so lets make the use of our time. So suggestions please folks.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Perhaps we could share the hire of a cabin as a fixed base, then do 1 or 2 day overnight journeys out to, say, the National Park, to explore and enjoy the boreal forest/Arctic experience.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
What I meant was, what are we trying to do, while we're up there?
If we, for instance, were to meet up, meet each other, use a fixed point/cabin as a base and explore the surrounding area, than stuff like large tents, axes, sleds, portable stocks of food etc. would seem less of an issue than if we were to travel as a group from location to location and overnight under the stars. An emergency like a broken leg, because of a simple skiingerror or a slip up with an axe, for instance, would have a less profound impact when basecamping than with trekking.
It would also make a difference if you had a highly experienced group with lots of arctic knowledge or if there were numerous participants, who at any point had some cold weather- or arcticexperience, but lack the true knowledge, if you know what I mean.
So determining a scenario from which to work might solve/eradicate problems and issues beforhand.

udamiano

On a new journey
The problem is, until we have any fixed idea on numbers actually coming any serious planning for group activities would be a futile undertaking. As it may turn out to be just me and Wayland, so you can see to answer you question, I can only with another question, which is 'How many, and who?' And as we all know there is a lot of time between now and then, for other thing to intrude on the plans of those who have currently expressed an interest.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE