Jews Ear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Found this shining example yesterday

Think this is Jews Ear!

Please correct me if I am wrong

Growing on an old elder trunk. Just bigger then I have seen before bout 8" in length.

Never seen them with such a light underside either?

000_03841.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
bloodline said:
beautiful picture I am starting to appreciate fungi it really is in a world of its own

Thanks,

They are fantastic things when you stop to look! my local wood is full of them!

They do look like Judas' ear allright (Auricularia auricaula-judae), typical for dead elder wood.
It's the Chinese restaurant mushroom. Cut off with a knife, some distance from the wood (don't drag them off, you might injure the mycelium) and dry at home in a dark and airy spot until you have enough to stir into the chow van.

Cheers

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ketchup said:
They do look like Judas' ear allright (Auricularia auricaula-judae), typical for dead elder wood.
It's the Chinese restaurant mushroom. Cut off with a knife, some distance from the wood (don't drag them off, you might injure the mycelium) and dry at home in a dark and airy spot until you have enough to stir into the chow vanh.

Cheers

Thanks for that I thought it was. What about the light underside?

Because it is such a nice example I will let nature take its course and leave this one!

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Its not entierly safe Iding fungi from pictures........

Its not like the Jews ears I have come across recently, it doesnt look rubbery enough or translucent enough.........am happy to be proved wrong, but would advise caution.

Mr Strop

Reactions: Tantalus
About the light underside?

There seems to be a wide variation in colouring. ( I know so from the chinese supermarkets :) ) These fungi will also get darker with age. The clear coloured ones are the most tender. Chinese black mushrooms have little taste but an 'interesting' texture and a beautiful colour among the cooked rice ore white shoots. Add taste with garlic and parsley.

About the name:

After he sold Jesus for thirty pieces of silver, Judas Iscariot hanged himself from an elder tree, according to European Folklore. While hanging there, his ear grew onto the tree... et voilà...

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Razorstrop said:
Its not entierly safe Iding fungi from pictures........

Its not like the Jews ears I have come across recently, it doesnt look rubbery enough or translucent enough.........am happy to be proved wrong, but would advise caution.

Mr Strop
OR burnt enough................ :lmao:

Note; my post is a personal dig and not intended to help ID in any way! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE