Is the Bushmoot for novices?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2010
Maidenhead
Hi,

I would love to take my son to the Bushmoot. He is 7. A couple of years ago we went on a bushcraft weekend together and had a great time. It was catered so we did not have to have much equipment to cook.
We have very little equipment i.e. a tent and a couple of sleeping bags. We do not have much money to spend on lots of kit but would buy the minimum we need.

What would we need as a minimum?

Would we have to make our own fire and cook our own stuff or are there some places to share cooking and food?

T

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Absolutely it is
It's for anyone to come along. Very informal, you don't need the latest kit or best possibles pouch. Just yourself with a mind to partake and you'll have a ball!

Mark

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Your son will have a great time at the Moot. There will be lots of other kids he can hang out and play with in the woods that surround the site. There will also be some workshops especially for kids. The Moot is selfcatering though (Tesco's is only a 10 minute drive).
As Mark (Buckshot) says: you don't need all the latest kit. You've got a tent & sleeping bags (+ sleeping mats?) - so that's your night sorted. You can cook on your own little fire if you choose to do so. Some people get together and do some communual cooking. Tesco's also do some cheap CampingGaz gasstoves. I'm no stove guru, but know these are good enough for the Moot. Add 2 old pots (maybe a kettle) you might have lying around (or have a look at Trangia or copies there off, that occassionally pop up at Lidl's). Something to store some water in (so you don't have to walk to the tap every time you need water). A mug, cutlery, plate and your ready to go.

Clothing: old stuff you've got lying around. Some warm jumpers for the evenings and some waterproofs when it rains (it's still Wales).

First Aid kit (on your person) if you carry a knife.

An open mind, the will to learn and a sense of humour ;) :D

Think that covers it, if not I'm sure someone else will add to it :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome aboard Meromanche,
It is quite normal to cook over an open fire at the moot site, but your pots & pans need not be anything special. Crockery & cutlery can be out of the kitchen drawer and anything else you might need can be adapted from normal domestic fayre. What you will need to do is plan carefully so that you can make your meals suit your facilities & ability. There is a superstore a few miles up the road for re-supplies of fresh stuff, so you won't need to bring loads of perishable goods. You might be able to join in a group and share fires etc, but again its best to plan to be self sufficicent just in case.

Its best to plan for the worst weather that a Welsh summer can produce, at the least, you'll be prepared to get damp & chilly - any better weather will be a bonus.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Just take what has been listed above, along with suitable clothes for Welsh weather ;) You can cook on a fire, or on a burner of some sort as long as you have pans or billies that are suitable. You'll cope OK.
If you need help with anything... ask. If you can't find advice, and help where needed, at the Moot, you'll not find it anywhere.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Welcome aboard.. Both yourself and your son will love the moot. As well as the workshops there will be other activities Pirates and plunder, and maybe a real live Viking or two !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE