Ireland meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
“I was just wondering have there been or are there any plans for an Ireland meet up? “

It has been proposed a few times but nothing came of it.
Personally, it would be difficult for me to travel more than 100 miles for a meet (I'm based on the south coast).

As a matter of interest; this lot are running a Bushcraft course in east Clare in May:
http://www.celtnet.org/

M

Mooney

i may have acces to 27 acres of land within the year, in kildare.

my dad lived there as a child before his mum sold it to the irish waterways association(something along those lines anyway)

were hoping to buy back the lease soon, if it goes through i dont see why anybody on here couldnt use it. It's located on one side of a canal(full of fish) on the other side is about 100 acres of pine forest. from what i remeber from last time i was there, thers birch, pine, alder etc oh and definatly alot of nettles.
i doubt anybody has walked on the land for 20+ years :)

I dont intend much to come of this any time soon, but it would be a great spot for a meet up an id be more than hapy to organise one. even for people from uk, its about 30 miles from the dublin port. im thinking of getting the ferry from liverpool, and taking my bike rather than a car.

this is more of a fantasy at the moment but if anything does come of it, ill be sure to mention it.

John

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Great suggestion, sodajoe, would love to see this happen. Finding a location will be the difficult part. Nice catch on the CELT course, anthonyy, I was thinking of going to that but my son is too young to be accepted until Autumn. I think CELT usually run another Weekend In the Woods then.
If any of our British colleagues could let us know what's needed in a site for a meet up, I could start looking. Scouting Ireland have a big campsite in Boyle, right beside the forest park, that's worth considering. The guys who host CELT might also be amenable.
Another thought: Coillte do leases of forestry land for shooting, scouting, and other amenities. I wonder if they would consider a lease for bushcraft?

Slán,
Mal

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Hey Mallrl,

I'm glad there is some interest in this neck of the woods. I would like to go to Britain for a meet up but it would be handy to have one over here also.

As long as there's woods to play in, I don't care where it is. Of course, you would know south of th border better than me.

Slan go foill

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
Just found this link.

Would be brilliant to get something organised over here. Id be up for it.

If anyhting comes of it or a few of you want to have a go at organising a meet id be interested in helping.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Well I would be up for it. The boyle site is good and I am sure they would be of help but the Celt site seems a little more central too us southern boys. The owner of it is also the gentleman doing the Bushcraft course I believe and may not be up to allowing a whole load of bushy fans chopping his home down do.

There is no reason to not have two meets one in the North and one in the South as I would be more then up for travelling too both. Finding a site is your only problem but it does not have to woodland at least not at the start. Meeting up would be huge step forward for bushcraft on this Island.

Name the place and time I will do my damest to be there.

James

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
James,

Hadnt come across CELT before, it looks like a great spot/centre for a Bushcraft meet up. As for the North, im in Armagh and im sure the National Trust or Forestry Service would broker something with us if we wanted to meet up.

I personally dont think that getting a place or people to turn up would be a problem, i think it would be the organisation as ive never been to a bushcraft meet. Im pretty new at the skills end of things so we would probably need a few people who knew what they were talking about to give talks, demonstrations etc.

Maybe a few more people on the site here would be available to do some of this.

I think we should definetly keep this discussion going and work towards getting something set up.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I am willing to help were needed to help organise the event, but other then oficial BCUK events many of the local ones seem to be at least for the first one's to be pretty relaxed affairs. With maybe one or two key thinks set up eg. a fire by friction workshop or leather work tutorial but the rest is simply a sharing of idea's, experience and fun.

PM and mail you home email adress and can talk anything you need my help on.

James

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I'm glad there are people out there who are as interested in a meet up as me. I'm keen enough to travel anywhere in Ireland and am more than willing to do my share of the organising. :)

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
Sodajoe,

Seeing as you and i are from the same neck of the woods maybe we should try and get one organised up here. Maybe at Tollymore, Castlewellan Forest or Gosford,,,somewhere like that.

I know that there are a number of users on the site from the North who could help and there are probably loads of people like James who would come up.

What do you think? :)

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Yeah, no sweat.

Now this is only a suggestion, but what about meeting up just to camp over in the Mournes or in Tollymore. No classes, no plans, just meet and greet, share a mug of tea and swap a few stories and see how it goes from there. I think the less complicated it is the easier it will be to get off the ground.
Once we get it off and running then we can get more adventurous with workshops and the like.

What do you think?

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
Yeah your probably right.

Probably best to keep it nice and simple at this stage i suppose.

Do you wanna have a think about time and location and we can put

suggestsions on here in the near future? :D

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I am pretty flexible when it comes to getting time off. I would suggest we meet end of April start of May when it's a bit warmer. As for which day would suit I'm easy.

What do you lot think?

James, do you think you could make it up to the Mournes or somewhere like that? I would be game to head down to Wicklow sometime this year.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I too have a few days to spare this year, but will be away for the first and second weekends in May. I can make any dates after that even if I only get up for one nights it's start during the week is OK for me if thats all you can do. I'll see if I can wrangle anyone else in if you guys confirm a date and location.

James

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Cool, I think if we can put out a provisional date it can give people something to work with. Let's see what happens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE