TOP TIPS AND TRICKS.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think the point is that I wouldn’t need to hoard it. I could make my tinder from my Kelly Kettle fuel.:p

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I drilled a hole in the plastic cover of a gas canister and threaded some red paracord through it.
It serves several purposes: it's easy to lift the canister out (I know it's not difficult, but it pleases me) it's easier to pull the cover off (it annoys me, like pull rings on milk/juice cartons when they don't work) and it's a little harder to lose in the field.

20240209_091603.jpg

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
An idea hot off the cerebellum tonight.

I was sharpening a pencil and wondered if the thin shavings would take a spark.
Yep! They did.
I’ll try a few pieces of dry stick tomorrow and if that works then I’m putting a pencil sharpener into each of my stove bags.

I use the two hole size type that collects shavings.

Perhaps someone else will try it too and between us we can recommend woods.
(….or knock the idea on the head!)
Ive always had a pencil sharpener in my fire kit. got the idea from a bush craft book. x

Reactions: Pattree and gg012

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I made this shower from a (new) weed killer bottle. I simply changed the head for a multi spray garden fitting and added a hook on the shower head to fix to a branch above. Heat the water in a pan and tip it in, pump up the pressure and hey presto. I timed it, I get a five minute shower from this 16 liter tank.
IMG_1322.JPG

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I made this shower from a (new) weed killer bottle. I simply changed the head for a multi spray garden fitting and added a hook on the shower head to fix to a branch above. Heat the water in a pan and tip it in, pump up the pressure and hey presto. I timed it, I get a five minute shower from this 16 liter tank.
View attachment 85578
I made one of those myself last summer. Exactly the same idea.
I'm also on the lookout for some nesting buckets to make a bush washing machine.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I remember a zinc bucket with a fixed paddle inside it and a clamped lid. A guy at a caravan camp was rolling it around

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Shower for hair washing:
MSR 2litre Dromlite with long lanyard loop of paracord threaded through the hang grommet hole. Lanyard uses two fisherman's knots to adjust length, and a little S-Biner to add hang options. Hot or cold water as is available. Hang on a nub from a handy tree, or from hammock suspension. Lean over and use the little fold down spout to apply a precision trickle.

Self tensioning guy lines:
If you find your tarp keeps sagging with over-night dew, try introducing some small surgical tubing to the guy lines. JacksRBetter and MSR have expensive versions.
img_6751 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

img_6742 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

img_6744 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

img_6743 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Reactions: Nice65 and gg012

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Shower for hair washing:
MSR 2litre Dromlite with long lanyard loop of paracord threaded through the hang grommet hole. Lanyard uses two fisherman's knots to adjust length, and a little S-Biner to add hang options. Hot or cold water as is available. Hang on a nub from a handy tree, or from hammock suspension. Lean over and use the little fold down spout to apply a precision trickle.

Self tensioning guy lines:
If you find your tarp keeps sagging with over-night dew, try introducing some small surgical tubing to the guy lines. JacksRBetter and MSR have expensive versions.
img_6751 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

img_6742 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

img_6744 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

img_6743 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
Help me please. I didnt understand the terminology on the hair washer idea. Have u got a pic or link if you found it. Thanks. ps no rush I've got a skinhead. xxx

Last edited:
Reactions: Pattree

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Explain please WG. how exactly do you make a bush washing machine.
So easy!

Ingredients
Two nesting buckets
One lid
Long handled sink plunger
Drill

Method
Drill hole in lid big enough to put the sink plunger through, make sure it moves up and down smoothly.
Drill holes in one bucket in the bottom and sides evenly spaced all the way up and round.
Drill holes in the sink plunger. Just enough to stop suction.

How to use
Insert the holey bucket into the whole bucket.
Fill with hot water, washing soap, and clothes.
Insert the plunger into the lid
Put lid firmly onto the two nested buckets, and work up and down for a few minutes agitating the clothes to release dirt.
Remove lid and plunger, remove inner perforated bucket and drain as well as you can, by pressing out the water, and swinging the bucket to provide a bit of a spin.
Refil with clean water and rinse the clothes .remove and drain as before.
Peg out to dry.
Perfect for off grid living, or grid down scenarios.
Every home should have one. :)

Reactions: GreyCat

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
The only answer I have is probably against the foru

it's (probably) a rather daft question, but do i presume correctly that the hinges lock by themselves in a 90° position?!
\
i dont think they do, they certainly dont need to. you push them in to the ground and theres a bolt and butterfly nut holding them together in the middle. The weight of pan would strengthen it further. thats how I plan to make one anyway.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
An idea hot off the cerebellum tonight.

I was sharpening a pencil and wondered if the thin shavings would take a spark.
Yep! They did.
I’ll try a few pieces of dry stick tomorrow and if that works then I’m putting a pencil sharpener into each of my stove bags.

I use the two hole size type that collects shavings.

Perhaps someone else will try it too and between us we can recommend woods.
(….or knock the idea on the head!)
Can’t beat these kits, superbly thought out and great value.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That’s I nice piece of kit.

I had no idea about the pencil sharpener until I was using one last night. I’ve ordered some two hole metal ones.

In fact all I ever use is a 12 mm ferrocerium and my tumbler fluff (or a back up cotton wool ball). I get a spark with whatever is to hand - often the back of an Opinel sometimes a steel spork. The rest is shavings and chippings off whatever I find to shove into the Kettle.

To keep to the OP - the idea was new to me so I put it here. Since the arrival of the internet I have learned that there are very few new ideas so I’m not surprised that it was already known.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
it's (probably) a rather daft question, but do i presume correctly that the hinges lock by themselves in a 90° position?!
When fully deployed the legs are more than 90% and are therefore stable - and can be pushed into the ground for extra security. If using zinc covered hinges burn off the zinc in a well ventilated area before using with food or even inhaling the smoke!

Reactions: forrestdweller

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE