I found time to make a Hobo at last!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Hi guys. It's a fair while since I've visited the forum. I've been busy working on our house and haven't had so much computer time.

Today I stumbled across a cheap flask in the pound shop and it crossed my mind that I'd seen a flask based Hobo on here - so I bought it. I've been out in the shed drilling and cutting and this is what I've managed to come up with....

DSCF0777.jpg

It's very basic at the moment so I'm after ideas of what to fill the centre with? The plastic tub on the right leaves about 3" in the bottom of the copper coloured section so I'm looking for a tin to fill that hole. I'm not even sure the plastic tub is the best idea but it fits fairly tightly so doesn't waste too much space.

I also wondered if the support pin is a bit low? It limits the space for fuel but at the same time the heat should work on the sides of the inner tin more this way making it more fuel efficient? What do you think?

I've got some canvas to make a bag for it too, but that may just be a little too much work for the time I have to spare at the moment!

EDIT... I forgot to add, the base of the main body comes off and acts as a lid for the cooking pot.

Last edited:

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
I have no idea. I stole the idea from someone on here - must have been six months or more ago that I read about it? Having just posted this I've spotted bojit's project from a couple of days ago. I recon we had the same flask to begin with! I'll go out in the garden and test it in a minute. I'm wondering if my air and feed holes may be a bit small?

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Yes that is the video that i saw that gave me the idea for my hobo from a flask .

One the subject of air holes , if you start of small then give it a try that way you can always enlarge them or add more as needed .

Craig...............

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Well I went out and tested it - it does ok. Boiled 600ml of water in 8 minutes. One fault I did find though is that the hole I drilled to feed it with was too small/low. It was impossible to feed the top of the fire once the pot was in place until the fire had died right down. It's a minor issue though and easily fixed by hole sawing another hole the same size about an inch higher (so they overlapped) and then cutting off the sides with the dremmel. I've not gone for take two as the mrs just put some washing out but I think it will help. I also drilled a second set of support holes higher up so I can get more sticks on there to start with.

Now I'm wondering what to cook with it? I recon Pigeon, Pignut and wild garlic stew would be a good one? Or hang a small Trout down the middle, put the lid on and smoke it?

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
A couple of pictures. With it boiling (standing on a clay pot so it didn't burn the table)...

DSCF0780.jpg

And packed away after I'd enlarged the feed hole...

DSCF0781.jpg

EDIT... Looks like I could do with dusting the window sill!

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
It's got six 7mm holes all around the bottom, plus the feed hole. I kept the holes small on purpose to start with so if it's very windy the side with less holes can be put on the up wind side to shelter it a bit. It seems to burn very well with plently of flame so I don't think it needs more air. I also thought it's easier to make them bigger if it does need more air than it would be to shrink them if they were too big.

Should they be bigger? I've tried to keep them small and low to increase the chimney effect and direct as much heat as possible around the cook pot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE