A New Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Maybe you heard it first here:)

Kelly Kettle are working on a new version of the little 600ml kettle. It is intended to be as light as possible and as small as possible so it will be aluminium and shorter than the current version by about 40mm.

1707841555307.jpeg

It’s still at the prototype stage, for one thing Patrick Kelly is dissatisfied with the bulk of the folding handles.

It will fit into the Trekker fire base so the little hobo will also fit into the system weighing virtually nothing and taking up no practical space at all.

Trial Run here.

I’ve asked Patrick to let me know as soon as I can buy one. If you are in FB you will probably know sooner than I do.

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
mkettle.

P1000271.jpg

Reactions: Nic Le Becheur

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Herman30 you are the second person today to compare the prototype Kelly to the mKettle. It looks great but for me, boiling water is only part of what I do. The Hobo accessory and the Bialetti have as much importance as the kettle.

Edited to add: Oh and the frying pan!

The mKettle looks like a great piece of kit. I think it’s wonderful that I can cook a complete dinner from scratch and set up coffee for the morning using less than a quarter of an ordinary fuel log (or equivalent sticks)

I can’t wait to get my hands on one and start experimenting.

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
The mKettle looks like a great piece of kit.
The spout (or the lack of) is terrible. Hard to pour without water running down the side.
Spout on the proto-kelly looks much more practical. I might buy one if the come for sale in Finland.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Aluminium is perfectly safe for most people. If the final product is anodised then there is no risk whatsoever.

I would prefer stainless steel myself but that’s just for its ruggedness.

The fire base will almost certainly be stainless steel. I’m not certain but I don’t think they make an aluminium one any more.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
They will be doing everything to maximise safety in pursuit of the new model.
They even put silicon lip protectors on their steel mugs. Both of mine are somewhere in the Bristol Channel, one via the river Severn and one via the Usk.

Reactions: Dan00001

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Personally I quite like the look of the Petromax version.
It's stainless steel, got a decent handle and most importantly it's got feet to raise it off the ground which stops or at least greatly lessens the circular patch of burned grass underneath it.
I know you can faff on with the Kelly ones, put em on a flat stone or carry a plumbers mat yada yada yada but it's nice that the manufacturers actually put a bit of effort in to sort their issues instead.
FK-LE75.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Kadushu and Pattree

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
That looks great.
I don't own an MKettle, but I don't like the look of the spout, nor being reliant on the sleeve for holding/ pouring. Also the base looks a bit tippy.
That new Kelly, looks like it solves those issues.
The folding handles are a great idea, they don't look that bulky, but perhaps they need to be curved slightly, like a BCB Crusader mug?
Will it have a stainless fire bowl?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Will it have a stainless fire bowl?
I dunno but I expect so. All the others do, whatever the main kettle body is made of.

I’d better say very clearly that I do not represent the Kelly Kettle company in any way. I am a big fan and correspond with Patrick occasionally, usually about this time of year, which is sort of the end of my season.

It was during just such an email catch up that Patrick mentioned the new kettle and I was naturally curious. I don’t have any inside connection.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What’s “need” got to do with anything?
I have 3 of different vintage and size. ,and recently got the smallest gillie kettle, as i dont realy need anything much bigger for just myself. I think I have enough.
I have a friend interested in the older largest one, so I'm selling that, and I'll be back to two Kelly's and one gillie. I think I can survive the apocalypse as I stand. :)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Woody girl We aren’t talking about survival here. We are discussing taking it out of its box and stroking it.

Over on the Classic Camp Stoves Forum some of the guys are particularly proud that their stove is “Unfired”. Indeed, I possess an unfired Svea M44 alcohol stove (+ the ones that I use)

OF COURSE I shall light my ultralight as soon as possible after I get it - in a thunderstorm if that is what it takes.

Edited to add:
I totally agree: The little Kettle is all you need. I probably use its Hobo accessory more than I use the kettle.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I like my Mkettle but the Kelly is so much easier to use. The M is so small that it can be a bit of a pig to keep the fire alive sometimes and with no spout it can start spitting boiling water everywhere if you're not careful. A bit of refinement to the design would certainly be welcome if it can be kept just as compact.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE