I am an idiot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I bought myself a dremel type tool this week so thought i'd have a go at making a new handle for my firesteel, everything went well and i'd tried the steel in for size and it was a good fit so i took it out again to put the finishing touches to it and guess waht? i went and broke the steel rod clean it half. Just went and ordered myself 2 new rods though. Sometimes i hate myself so much, see what happens when you get excited.

On another note though, i have a couple of old whakle tooths i've had since i was a boy and i'm half thinking about using part of that as a new handle, what do you think?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Clark

Don't despair mate.:)

I regularly break firesteels in half to make up fire kits.

Put small handles on the broken pieces as you only need to use about a centimetre of the steel to generate sparks.

I use tiny steels with chartubes and a piece of flint. Look at the last couple of pictures in this thread and you will see the tiny steels.

Good luck

George

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I was going to ask why you needed so many steels but then i read the bit about cadets using them. I am off to get some deer bone tonight(not antler) and i'm going to give that a shot at making a handle. Got some ideas from your pics so thanks for pointing me in the right direction. All is not lost yet it would seem.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I agree with the previous poster, you only need the end bit to get a great spark. Scraping down the whole length tends to get a bit wild and scatters your tinder, in my experience.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Now I'm not really bushcrafty when it comes to making stuff but I did tip me firesteel with a bit of roe antler. I tried it out when I was clearing scrub last week. Making fires is quite addictive.
P1010203.jpg

P1010204.jpg

P1010150.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE