Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
You don't need to eat plants.

look up rabbit starvartion for your convienience here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

trust me more than half people on this site have more years of hunting and survival knowledge than you've been alive, but if you want to ignore their advice and charge headlong into the wilderness then be my guest, I'll give you at best 3-4 weeks before you end up dieing.

first off in a survival situation meat is a luxuary that you can't always be sure you'll have available (you have to hunt or trap the meat and there's always a chance that even if you find an animal it will escape before you can get it) even those with years of hunting experience ad using rifles with scopes and all the latest equipmet will tell you that there are days when they don't even get to bag a crow yet alone a couple of rabits.
eddible plants are the one resource that you can always be sure you'll have unless you're in the deep artic or desert.
speaking from went wrong) experience a few years ago I traveled around wales with just a small backpack, during that trip that lasted only a week I suffered hypoglycemia due to not getting enough food to match my excertion levels, food poisoning from a poorly cooked woodpidgion and lost over a stone in weight (14lb) among other things and I've been hunting, trapping and camping since as far back as I can remember.
believe me trying to survive in the wilds even in a friendly climate temprate like the UK is difficult, in a foregin climate with out native help it's near impossible in the long term.

so I suggest you take the advice that everyone here is offering you

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
the main problem with hunting in this country is having the landowners permission, if you don't get this and just toddle around with a rifle then its armed trespass which is a hefty prison sentence, or even with dogs, nets, or snares is trespassing which is at least a fine if i remember correctly.

legal forms of hunting include shooting, with shotguns, rimfire, centrefire rifles or airguns. shotguns and powder burners require licenses to use, as do air rifles over 12ft/lb. air rifles under 12 ft/lb do not require a license to own or use.

hunting with up to 2 dogs is legal as long as the quarry is rats or rabbits. flushing to gun is still legal.

using ferrets in conjunction with nets, dogs, birds of prey or guns to hunt is legal.

using snares to trap rabbits and foxes is legal as long as the snare is free running, and checked at least once a day, although twice a day is preferable. all snares in scotland must have a deer stop as well.

hunting with slingshots/catapults is legal as long as the hunter is competent enough to kill with it, and intends to kill with it, not to cause pain or suffering.

hunting with bows/crossbows is completely illegal as is hunting with a spear. there are NO circumstances to make you expemt from this law.

respect for the quarry is the most important aspect of any form of hunting, killing any animal causes pain and suffering but it is the duty of the hunter to humanely despatch the animal as quickly as possible, and so limit the amount of pain inflicted.
as far as i'm concerned any other form of hunting is unnecessarily cruel anyway, especially the idea of hunting with your bare hands or rocks which is barbaric. if you don't have the tools to humanely hunt an animal then you leave it alone. there's no sense in shooting at a deer with an air rifle for example.
bow hunting is a tricky one for me because as much as i'd like to do it i wouldn't feel confident about getting a clean heart and lung shot at much beyond 30 yards, and getting that close to a deer is properly hard

just my tuppence worth feel free to correct me if i've put anything wrong

matt

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I remember a report in the news some time ago, when a shocked mother described how her angelic 4 year old daughter had launched herself into the shallows of the River Tay and wrestled a salmon onto the shore. The little darling had even sank her teeth into its head.

:rofl: You have to find a link to that story, just brilliant!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Miles,

I'd ignore all these replies if I were you.

Those who've replied have money and buy all the expensive kit they can. Don't listen to them - they are fashionistas mate.

They have lost sight of what it means to be at one with nature.

I, on the other hand, hunt alone.

I've no phone, no pool, no pets, don't pay no crazy Vets - it's just me in bare feet and with my bare hands on a daily basis.

Usually I'm hunting for dog ends - short but not too thick around.

In Winter I use an old worn out suit and shoes, but who hasn't?

This post may appear controversial, well dang me, they can go and get a rope and hang me!

I'm with you Miles.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Have a read at The Wild Life by a fella who, having his own land, tried to feed himself from wild food for year. He shot and fished and plucked and dug and struggled. Great read, lots to think about.

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
thats actually quite offensive trapping and snaring is the cheapest way of hunting there is and also the easiest. running around with a stick trying to smack a rabbit on the head is stupid because you'll use more energy chasing than you'll get from it.

assuming that everyone who's replied has money is a bit thick as well i've just been laid off and i've never had enough money to buy fancy equipment but i make sure i get the best i can so i can be as efficient as i can

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE