Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I'm 18. I don't feel comfortable to give my reasons here...

sorry we've made you feel that way, this particular thread has got really messy for some reason. if youd rather pm the answer then go ahead. i can show you a video about my back ground if you llike to give you a better idea of who i am, what i do and maybe then we can help each other.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm 18. I don't feel comfortable to give my reasons here...

There is an excellent book by Jon Krakauer called Into The Wild. A good film was made from this book and it is a true story about someone around your age wanting to get out and see the wild and live in it under his own steam. He makes many mistakes and there is much to learn from it. I recommend you read it and maybe watch the film, it's very moving and the guy it's about is an amazing character.

I don't think there are many of us on this forum that wouldn't want to up sticks and have a life in the wild. The sad fact is though, it is very expensive to go out and do it, and there is also very few places in the world where it is even possible now. The truth of the matter is, you will need equipment, provisions and experience to even get a foothold into that existence. It's not something you can up and do after a few months or even a couple of years of self preperation. That is the reality of it, and why it is still a dream to us on here.

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
I have seen the film, and that guy is an idiot(in the Alaska part)... I mean, in the film, no disrespect to the real guy... it's ok to disrespect a movie character. =)

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have seen the film, and that guy is an idiot... I mean, in the film, no disrespect to the real guy... it's ok to disrespect a movie character =)

You mean the actor, or Chris McCandless, the guy he was portraying?

I have a great respect for McCandless, he was disenchanted with his life and everything about modern day living and what that presents. He wanted to get back to basics and enjoy life in all it's raw hardship. And fair play, he went out and did it. He made a few very simple mistakes that lead to his death in an environment rich in wild food and game, and had spent two years gaining knowledge that should have enabled him to survive. There are not many people that could go out and achieve what he did. He was absolutely single minded in his intention to live the Alaskan dream.

Last edited:

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
I mean the character Chris McCandless, not the real person, nor the actor who played the character of Chris McCandless. Also, I edited it, to show that I only thought he was an idiot in the Alaskan parts. Like with that moose.. He didn't even eat any of it by the looks of it... And there was no point eating plants anyway, even if they weren't the extremely poisonous ones...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I mean the character Chris McCandless, not the real person, nor the actor who played the character of Chris McCandless. Also, I edited it, to show that I only thought he was an idiot in the Alaskan parts. Like with that moose.. He didn't even eat any of it by the looks of it... And there was no point eating plants anyway, even if they weren't the extremely poisonous ones...

Chris McCandless was a real guy, the film was a true story based on his life/death. And you do need to eat plants, you can't survive on meat alone, that diet will eventually kill you as sure as not eating at all. As for that moose, McCandless was taught how to butcher and preserve food, but when it came to actually doing it, he realised that it was much harder than anticipated, and other things are quicker at eating it and that meat goes off very quickly. It's hard to prepare large game like that, and most will go to complete waste if you have no fridge. McCandless described that day as the worst disaster of his entire trip.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
you kind of missed the point there chap! he had taken all this knowledge with him But when finally faced with the enormaty of the task, he failed. i think he had a picture in his head of the great backwoodsman standing proud over his kill without understanding the logistics of dealing with an animal that size Outside, away from the comforts of a butchers table and larder. it also demonstraights how even with a Guide book Infront of you, eat the wrong leaf and your buggerd. poor chap. great life poo death.

Last edited:

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
No, you are wrong. You do not need to eat plants. He acted like he needed to follow the guide given to him perfectly or that was it there was plenty he could have done still at any point, despite his f*** ups so far.

It was not Chris McCandless in the film, but an actor playing the character of Chris McCandless...... So I can't comment on Chris McCandless, but only the Character portrayed by the actor in the film 'Into The Wild'...

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
You most certainly do need to eat plants miles or you will die from various vitamin and immune dificiencies over time. It was quite a common cause of death ammongst American trappers who only ate rabbits, if they'd just eaten one or two leaves they would have been fine!

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
If I felt comfortable to explain stuff here, I would tell you why you don't need to eat plants, but again more hostility.

There are laws and then there is common sense. As long as tescos sell sausages noboby need to hunt meat! However when the sh@t hits the fan I will shoot, snare or club anything I need to eat. When this happens the laws of the land will be long forgotten! In our current lifestyle obey the law when you are starving and needs must please do what you need to do to survive,

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Miles, this forum is filled with kind people who are always willing to share knowledge and good practise to those who are willing to learn. I know this as they have answered my questions many times.

I'm a member of a few forums and I find this one is moderated very well, with a very unbiased and fair nature.

I think you'd do well to remember this, and to appreciate the depth of knowledge that has been aquired by the folks on this forum and the fact that they choose the use this the help others learn

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Back to catching meaty food with your hands.

Water is your best option, salt or fresh - Crabs, crayfish (freshwater), shellfish, prawns in rockpools. You could also make nets from cordage to catch fish.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
If I felt comfortable to explain stuff here, I would tell you why you don't need to eat plants, but again more hostility.

Rather than explain why not post a link, document or whatever that shows scientific proof a meat diet alone is capable of keeping a hunter alive. Personally I think you will struggle. I have researched diet a lot due to participating in amateur boxing, long distance running, weight lifting and general fitness and in my opinion and that of many authors with much knowledge on this particular subject you NEED PLANTS TO SURVIVE.

If you still feel uncomfortable explaining things here then STOP trying to explain!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The simple answer is to look at indiginus(sp) tribes, they have lived eating the same food groups for a very very long time, and I can't think of a single group who live on meat alone, some may have very megre diets, but they still have a mixe of protene and carbs + fats and vitamins. even canables used to stew brains with hart of palm to give it a bit more substance, I would be very interested in the article where youv'e gained this knowledge from Miles. Again i would ask you if we could start fresh and mabey have a bit of an introduction, you of course don't have to mention any places, names or other intimate details, just a brief out lline chap. we really are a friendly bunch here.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
It seems to me that it is legal to hunt in the UK, if you just use your bare hands... Is this correct?

I have, on the odd occasion, caught rabbits and once a pheasant with a sort of flying goalie/rugby tackle/Dan Dare technique. But that was more through luck than good guidance. And many a trout has ended its career over a fire with a stick up its shuftie due to my golden childhood fingers!

I remember a report in the news some time ago, when a shocked mother described how her angelic 4 year old daughter had launched herself into the shallows of the River Tay and wrestled a salmon onto the shore. The little darling had even sank her teeth into its head.

But I doubt if any of this is legal!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE