How to hold a pouch closed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Last weekend I suddenly decided to make a fire starting pouch for my new shoulder-bag and after 4 or 5 hours work I had myself a nice shiny pouch. Then I realized that I hadn't thought of how I was going to hold it closed :eek: . So now I have to come up with a way of holding it closed. I had been vaguely thinking about a toggle but it needs to be held quite tightly and I wasn't shore if a toggle would work, so I started thinking about a press-stud, but it would be nice to keep it more traditional.

So here it is.

Shot with FinePix S6500fd at 2007-07-09

I know It probably would have been better to have thought of this before I stitched it all together but there we go, I just got carried away :rolleyes:. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated :) .

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Nice pouch mate! :D

I think the toggle is a better option than a popper.

How about a couple of lengths of thong? wrap round and then tie with a bow?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice pouch you made there. What about one of these:

2007-07-09-1444-30.jpg

I have used the rolled up toggle on a small pouch I keep in my pocket and it is quite efficiant, relatively soft and very quiet to use. And you can adjust it too, to make quite tight.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd go with thong, or make a leather toggle button.
Tell you what, that'd make a nice little baccy pouch. You could get a 50gr pouch of Golden Virginia in the bottom section and some hand rolling papers in the top bit.

Eric

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Thanks guys :You_Rock_ .

How exactly would you use a thong to hold it, I cant quite visualize it?

I like the look of that leather toggle though. Mite have a go at one of them :) .

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I like the thong idea too. Just a couple of wraps and tie or have the length just right for a couple of wraps and close with a toggle. A braided leather thong with a wood toggle would look great and if you make it long enough (perhaps more than a couple of wraps), you also have a cord for a bow drill, further diversifying your fire kit.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I like the thong idea too. Just a couple of wraps and tie or have the length just right for a couple of wraps and close with a toggle. A braided leather thong with a wood toggle would look great and if you make it long enough (perhaps more than a couple of wraps), you also have a cord for a bow drill, further diversifying your fire kit.

Wow now that’s a good idea :You_Rock_ . I'll post some pics when I get round to finishing it :rolleyes: .

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Aloha WhichDoctor,

Did you ever make your cord to closed your pouch? Pictures please!!

Yes! yes i have, eventually, well sort of :eek: .

We've been having a lot of redecorating and work dun on the house recently and in all the clutter I managed to loose the pouch :eek: . But I found it last week and having just finished a longbow making cores I was fired up with enthusiasm. So I finely married it up with the thong I've had lying around so now its dun! The thong isn't real leather but it was available and quite strong so I thought it would do till I get round to getting a better one. It can also be easily removed to make a bow-drill cored (Thanks hanzo :D ).

Anyway here it is, better late than never, right? :D

P.S. Thanks for all your help and support everyone, some grate ideas and information here :You_Rock_ .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE