DIY kids roll top backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I made a start tonight on a backpack for my son. It's going to be a basic roll top with webbing on the outside to attach some bungee, another small pouch, first aid kit ect. if we so wish. He is only young so going to make it around a 10L or so capacity. If/when he gets tired of carrying it, I can simply attach it to mine.

Anyway, it's the first time I've tried a backpack so thought I would share the process. I'll also attach below some photos of the more typical things I like to make.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Little update on the backpack, I think I've got most of it done now. I need to sew in a bottom and finish the top and sew in a lining (We've gone for a Paw Patrol lining). I'm just waiting on some buckles to finish the straps and the roll top.

It's not perfect aesthetically, but everything is double stitched, at least, so it should be both functional and long lasting. I struggled to find a child's backpack in this bushcrafty style, hence the build.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Looking really good, I have been thinking about trying the same.

Brilliant job :)
Thank you, I'm probably 90% complete, now. It's just a tad on the large side, but he will grow in to it.

If you're thinking about giving it a go, I would say go for it. It isn't too difficult. I designed the backpack myself but there are loads of free designs out there. The material I used is 16oz cotton canvas that I bought from Neotrims on ebay.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im so glad of that.

A friends of mine suffered a plague of daughters, she went on a professional hairdressing course.

But they wanted to go to the salon....

• Haha
Reactions: Dan00001

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE