How small can you go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Fine if it is around 0C, no wind and plenty of dry timber to burn. and you are happy to only sleep or short periods of time.

You can squeeze a turd for quenching your thirst too.........:)

Keeping warm and sleeping is the basis of survival.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Living and enjoying.

When you are young, you can sleep on a very thin mat, or a thin layer of something ( leaves, moss, twigs) and be fine in the morning. With advancing age, you need something more comfortable.
On our last 'minimal equipment' overnighters in Norway, my mat leaked. So I basically slept on the ground.
Back hurt for days, pelvic crest for a couple of weeks ( I only sleep on my side).

I can not go as 'small as I used to. I miss it.

bearbait

There some really good points here, so thank you all.
I’m doing an over night with the scouts in November, they will be building their own shelters and sleeping in them, so instead of my hammock, I may just go with very minimal and see how I get on. It’s only one night, what’s the worst that can happen...

The worst that can happen?

One of the scouts could get turfed out his shelter by the the scout master?

My latest thought is about minimalistic kit, my brother has recently got into one night trips out and about, and he was asking me what kit he needed.

He had a few must have bits of kit, things like he wanted a tent, sleeping bag and stove (due to locations, a fire is a no go). However this got me thinking about how small could I go, could I get enough kit into a small bag, something like a maxpedition versipack, or a small rucksack for a one night trip.

Would a Bivi bag alone work, or a bivi bag and a brolly over your head.

In summer when we're maybe fishing and want to spend the night out we just take a blanket or jacket, and means to make a fire. For bed we just cut fir or cedar boughs to keep us from the ground . For food we eat some of the lake trout we catch cooked in fire.. Maybe our summers are a little warmer than in England.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
In summer when we're maybe fishing and want to spend the night out we just take a blanket or jacket, and means to make a fire. For bed we just cut fir or cedar boughs to keep us from the ground . For food we eat some of the lake trout we catch cooked in fire.. Maybe our summers are a little warmer than in England.
There's a saying Joe, "dress for a British summer" in short take a rain coat! apart from this year which has been hot and dry an just perfect.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Personally I like a comfy time with a bit of luxury. ie thick mat. warm bag, some decent food and maybe a book as I tend to go solo. So basically if it fits in my sabre 45 in summer and 75 in winter it’s coming.
Even on multi day winter trips the weight isn’t excessive but makes for an enjoyable trip.
Each to their own eh
HF

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Wear and tear, or damage, or arthritis. Usually the last one caused by one of the previous ones.

I had to replace my vintage, beloved Red Wing boots last year to a pair of modern, plasticky, pos outdoor trainers.
Knee could not take the lifting motion of the heavy RW anymore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE