horse hoof fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Do you mean did I gather them on a dry day or do they need drying out after that?

Certainly worth trying if you are experiencing problems!
I leave mine on top of the range for a week or so as I have had problems with them becoming mouldy if I pack them away too soon.
When dry you only have to say the word spark to get them glowing.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I've never found and Horse's hoof or cramp balls growing round here(Ballymena) either NMG. I did manage to get some prepared Amadou and cramp balls, but I had to buy it. Both work well though, but when they run out, it's back to char cloth fpr me. I do have plenty of it though as I make it myself. You can have some if you want. It works well.

Thanks Mang. That would be great. I have some cotton rope that I have prepared for fire lighting. It's a bit like a slow match that gunners used for firing cannons in the olden days. It has a copper cap that you pull over the charred end which puts it out. It lights quite easily with a spark and will glow away merrily until you extinguish it. There is a thread somewhere that shows how to make it, but I have a fair bit of it prepared already.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just got back from the Paklenica Nat Park in Croatia where every tree seemed to have a herd of Horses Hoof fungus on it!
Working out how to pinch it from the park, smuggle it out of Croatia and into Heathrow defeated me......
I swear I heard an equine giggle echo through the gorge as I left the park without a fungus about me......

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I was in Nuernburg last month to attend the IWA Messe. I parked up on the old Reichs Gelaende - the huge parade square where Adolf used to take the salute and rant on about his views - anyway, the exhibition centre is a short walk thru the woods and as I bimbled thru I saw hundreds of Horse Hoof funghi on felled birch. I took some piccies which I shall put up later in the week.

One accidently fell off a log and into my rucksack - only to be noticed by the sharp eyed x-ray gizmo operator at Munich airport. Apparently fresh'ish HH have a consistency similar to certain explosives, they looked and were happy that it was only a 'mushroom' and bade me a bon voyage.

Its all nice and dry now and ready to go.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
What are cramp balls? are they what I know as King Alfreds cakes? I collected some the other week, and put the on the piano to dry... They have spread sooty spores over EVERYTHING!!! :eek:

And my son seems to think it's great fun to spread it around...:rolleyes:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
What are cramp balls? are they what I know as King Alfreds cakes? I collected some the other week, and put the on the piano to dry... They have spread sooty spores over EVERYTHING!!! :eek:

And my son seems to think it's great fun to spread it around...:rolleyes:

yeah same thing

pete

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I live in Somerset and have been able to find quite a few... Always found them a bit of a bugger to dry out though. Although in this weather it shouldn't be too hard lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE