horse hoof fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
I was in Aviemore last weekend and brought home what I believe to be said fungus, ( hard black tar like outer surface and brown velvet like inside) what I would like to know is what is the best way to prepare it for tinder. I usually use cotton wool and vasaline with my swedish firesteel.................. is horse hoof more trouble than its worth?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I usually use cotton wool and vasaline with my swedish firesteel.................. is horse hoof more trouble than its worth?

Manmade tinder :eek:
Horses hoof amadou is quite labour intensive to prepare, but in my mind it is very worthwhile, it takes a spark very well and is often difficult to extinguish.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
If you are going to use it with your swedish firesteel it is enough to dry it out. That said if you are using a ferro rod why bother to use horse hoof fungus anyway. The fungus is known for it`s ability to catch faint sparks (flint and steel) and glow for a long time. You then have to transfer the glowing fungus to a tinderball and blow air in it to make fire.
A ferro rod will ignite grass, paper, birch bark (shavings) and cotton/vasaline directly.

Tor H

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
I think it's more the chance to learn a new skill, untill I'm able to get my hands on a proper
"flint & steel" can I get similar results with my firesteel? In theory are there paralells between the two methods.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I think it's more the chance to learn a new skill, untill I'm able to get my hands on a proper
"flint & steel" can I get similar results with my firesteel? In theory are there paralells between the two methods.

If you are after a flint and steel you wont regret getting a Drgons breath kit from John Fenna (no connection etc just a very happy purchaser)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
just orderd one can't wait............. looks like I have some serious horse hoof tinder prep tonight. SWMBO will not be inpressed.

Getting fire from a flint and steel is harder than using a ferro rod. Try making some char cloth as this works well with flint and steel. Maver did a good tutorial about it ... http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10049&highlight=maver+char+cloth
I think you get some with John's kit, but you will soon need more..
True tinder fungus (Birch conk) http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5349.asp is one of the best (if not the best) fungi to use with flint and steel..

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Is horse's hoof rare down south/in ireland? Just asking cos it's probably the most common tree fungus I see.

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
it's might not be as rare as I think, but there doesn't seem to the greatest amount of birch in my area........... mybe i havn't wandered far enough. But while i Aviemore I came across loads so I brought some home to play with. And as I said I really want to expand my knowledge of bushcraft.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Is horse's hoof rare down south/in ireland? Just asking cos it's probably the most common tree fungus I see.

Comments like that could cause unrest!
I've never seen it growing despite years of looking around Hampshire/Berkshire nor in South or Mid Wales. Not sure why but I am also missing out on Cramp Balls in this neck of the woods too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

alanssaab

Mar 16, 2008
wishaw
where i live we have a forest area which is mostly birch , it took me a few hours to find some horse hoof and then it was only one , polypores were ten a penny though
alan

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Here in Croatia Fomes fomentarius is very common,but grow on beech,rarely on other broadleaf trees(found yesterday one on ash).Anyway preparing for tinder takes lot of work,and with firesteel there is many tinders that will work just fine with less effort.

Mang

Settler
Whilst useful fungus are being discussed, what's the secret of getting a Cramp ball to take a spark? I fired enough to burn a house down at one but nothing! I was under the impression that one only has to get a hint of a spark to smoulder.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A couple of questions for you.
Are they black? - Might seem a daft question but they don't tend to take easily if they're not.
Are you sure that they're dry? (I know - another daft question)
Are you striking onto the inner part of the fungus?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE