Hooded woolen sweater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
looks good, but I don't see any advantages over a woolen sweater and a hat (and maybe a scarf). If you use it with a jacket (which you'll do if it's more than a slight breeze) the hood is gonna get in the way, sooner or later. But for that price, better buy 2!

My 2 pence..

PS, talking of hooded woolen sweater, check this one out: http://www.66north.com/shop/pc-291-424-vindur-jacket.aspx expensive but windproof..

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
What do you guys think of the ex army woolen sweaters? The elbow patch ones if you know what i mean? Was thinking of getting one as the cheap fleece things at the same price don't seem to do the job :)

wozza

Jul 19, 2007
well im a skateboard as well and that looks cool for that as well as bushcrafty stuff, good find

I'm a great believer in a woollen stole, think quadruple width and very long woollen scarf, you can drape it like a wrap or cloak, its big enough to be an extra blanket layer, wrap it like a headover or as a truly windproof muffler. Wouldnt be without one at any time of year. In combination with a good woolly jumper it covers all eventualities :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Woolie-pullies realy do the biz especially if teamed with other natural fibre layers ie silk/wool thermals, wool/ventile shirt, ventile jacket.
Think natural fibres with natural fibres OR synthetic with synthetic. This seems to work best.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the idea of the hooded woolen jumper for a couple of reasons, one, its wool (and not over priced) and two, the hood helps keep in heat and keep out the dreaded Welsh midges

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
What do you guys think of the ex army woolen sweaters? The elbow patch ones if you know what i mean? Was thinking of getting one as the cheap fleece things at the same price don't seem to do the job :)

Got one of these the other day from my local army surplus shop, look and feel durable and hopefully last a long time with vigorous use. Cost a tenner not too bad. the only problem that i did seem to have with it, is that it itches on bear skin. to over come this i either wear a long sleeve t-shirt or an army issue thermal top which covers the skin on my arms preventing the itching problem. the other nice feature that i found on them is that they have a draw-string neck.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The draw string is put in by soldiers, it was so that when the collar of your shirt was out, you tied the neck into position nice and tight so that the top button doesn't show on the collar. Nice and tight to restrict the blood flow and breathing, gotta be sensible! :rolleyes: Try wearing the jumper in the winter with a norgie shirt underneath. You will never get cold, we used to strut about in the Falklands winter wearing just that and we were toasty. No combat jacket or waterproofs, unless it started to rain.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Try wearing the jumper in the winter with a norgie shirt underneath. .

But Spamel, we've been told here on the forum that norgie shirts are made of cotton and are crap as they suck the heat from your body, plus they are cheap so can't be any good. If they were made by a civvie company who charged you £30+ I'm sure they would be better;)

Lee, have you been talking to Luke about this? he's nicked one of my wooly pullies this week:rolleyes:

Wool jumper and norgie is, as the man said, a great combo:)

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
Lee, have you been talking to Luke about this? he's nicked one of my wooly pullies this week:rolleyes:

Lol Luke was with me down town in the surplus shop about 2 weeks ago when i mentioned i wouldn't mind getting one, don't think he knows yet that i bought it the next day :lmao:

Lovely jumper mind, really warm. Thanks spammel for that information, i was wonder why it had that draw string.

Next bit of clothing i wouldn't mind getting is a U.S. N3B Snorkel parka for the lovely welsh winter. www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr1062.html

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
You gotta love winter parka's, bought a unissued fishtail parka the other day, man it's warm with the lining in, decided on the US army version for a few more £'s because it had a more robust and quieter outer than the copys :)
HUGE hood as well :Wow:

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
You gotta love winter parka's, bought a unissued fishtail parka the other day, man it's warm with the lining in, decided on the US army version for a few more £'s because it had a more robust and quieter outer than the copys :)
HUGE hood as well :Wow:

I think they look the business, so far I have seen 2 different places that sell the U.S. N3B Snorkel parka, the first is surplusandadventure and the second is ebay, the only trouble that i seem to have is the return policy, i usually fit into large clothes not for my weight but because of my length, but the measurements on surplusandadventure state that i need a medium size for the length of my arms, so I'm bit worried that if i order a medium and its too short on the arms i wont be able to have my money back and need to buy something on surplusandadventure for the same price.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Mine came up pretty big, went for my normal x large so i can put layers underneath it if it's really cold. Not sure that this will help as each company has it's own way of measuring :rolleyes:

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
Mine came up pretty big, went for my normal x large so i can put layers underneath it if it's really cold. Not sure that this will help as each company has it's own way of measuring :rolleyes:

You have a very good pint there, i didnt think about the layers underneath, cheers mate.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Think that most of these parka's are made for a heavy weight baselayer, winter fleece and a jacket underneath them, sort of like the expedition down jackets for the himalaya's, a warm throw over for static periods :approve:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE