Kindling splitting chopper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ok i want to say first and formost i am not connected to the seller in anyway but i am very happy with their item so wanted to give a review .
I purchased a long chopper a bit like a meat clever or billhook size kindling splitter , the reason i went that way was i know i can just use a small axe but with the longer blade it is easier to hit the wood if that makes sense , now it arrived in a cardboard sleve that you can reinforce if you like to stop it cutting up but i am going to be making some leather sheaths for mine as i have 6 now yes i know over kill but we like to keep 1 in each bag one in the greenhouse and one by the chimnea .
The aes arrive in a sharpish state you could use them as is but i like to mod things a little like hte handle i putfinger grooves in and then oiled the handle which is wood i like the fact the bladle goes right through the handle and it is not a thin bar type it is a soilid flat metal as the picture in the link will show , the edge was not as sharp as i like so i ground the edge and got a near razor edge on it with a diamond stone then i used the dremel to get a mirror polished edge with some buffing compound it seams lieka lot of work on a tool that is very cheap but i think these tools are well worth the little effort to make them a great chopper .
I have said you do need to do a little work on them if like me you are fussy but if you just want a basic choper these fit the bill and again i bet you could even driver over this without much damge to it .
The seller also does discounts on the more you buy i get 2 at a time and they are by far the cheapest i have found for this type i have tried the other type that has the steel rod throgu the handle and well it bent are a few good whacks .
I love this type i have it has weight so you just let it drop on to the kindling to grip then lift and whop it down , i sit and split huge amounts of pallet wood in to short 4inch bits to put in jars and soak with turps and pine rosin to make homemade fatwood .
Ok well not much morei can say about these but get one try them and you will want more , i am going to drill a hole i nthe handle to put a lanyard on for also best protection against slip offs .
Ps i hope we are allowed to add links as i can not work out how to do pictures yet but once i make the leather sheaths i wil add that here to

Reactions: Dogoak and Kadushu

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Used to have something similar years back, a stick chopper. It did the job it was designed for. Yesterday I was out clearing nettles and undergrowth with a cheap chinese machete, plastic grip, rusty blade and not the sharpest by far, but for keeping in my shed I'm not bothered so long as it does what it is supposed to. You don't always need the fanciest steel with the most fashionable grind to do simple tasks.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
It's a good shape for splitting down kindling. I've been using a billhook for years, but that's a fair bit more money and if the steel is good enough it's a great price.
To be honest Tony the first one i ordered i was like hmm lets give it a go , see i grew up as a hand tools carpenter and always brought the best the same with battery tools when they came in if it was not DeWalt or Elu then i gave it a miss , i will say my Dewalt tools are still banging on some 25 years alter yes new batteries but the motors are great i always clean them oil and look after them , so whne i ordered the little chopper i was like ok if i leave it in the garden and it gets rusty no biggy but likei say i did some work on it and even my wife loved it , i am going to make them all nice leather holders i was going with a belt loop but then said hmmm no reason to put on a belt it just needs a basic leather sheath with a pop stud loop to stop it sliding out , the reason i like sheaths is on sharp tools it is oh so easy to pop it down forget it and then get cut by it , the way i learnt that was fishing trips when boilie needles came in we all used them threw them down but me i always put it on my table well one guy on a night trip threw his on his seat then got a fast take after a cast then nopthing so plopped down in his seat to a scream of pain the needle went right through the sack skin and out the other side now bare in mind these were barbed so after his mate checked they went down the local hospital and well that was not fun fopr him , so like with sharp tools i like them safe from harming me or others .
Hoping to do a few more reviews on freeze dried foods soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE