Home Made Solid Fuel stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Feb18992.jpg

Am making some of these and I was wondering if anyone had anything to swap for a few?

Id like some leather scraps but any odd and ends would be of interest

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its like a large candle but there will be more flame; I have no idea of the burn time, perhaps I should find out...

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Tengu

Looks like you have made a decent sized Buddy stove there. I make them in differing sizes from 'T' light size up wards.

Fenlander taught me how to make them and this is his description of making one:

“Buddy Stove

A buddy stove is a great way to carry a backup stove for boiling water and cooking.
To make an emergency “buddy stove” you will need:

1. A Maya dust, Nikwax type tin or even a T light candle
2. Some corrugated cardboard
3. Candle wax

• Cut a strip of corrugated cardboard long enough to fill at least half the area of you tin (this will act as a wick).
• Ensure the width of your strips are slightly less than the depth of your tin.
• Roll up the cardboard and place it in your tin, allowing it to unfurl.
• Melt some candle wax and pour it into the tin, ensuring all gaps are filled to just below the level of the cardboard.

To use you buddy stove, place two or three stones around the tin as a pot stand, then ignite the cardboard wick. When the flames have spread along the cardboard, place you pot on the stones to cook. When you have finished cooking, use the tin lid to snuff out the flame." End Quote.

Personally I find that with a 'T' light candle version that it will burn happily for 20 or so minutes before the wax is used up and the wick starts to consume itself. To prolong the life of the stove keep a small bag of chipped wax that you can feed into the stove to top up the wax. A 'T' light version will boil up a couple of cup fulls of water easily if properly set up.

Bear in mind that this type of stove will build up a lot of soot on your pot which needs to be regularly scraped of. For ease of cleaning I have heard it recommended that you wipe the outside of the pot with washing up liquid prior to using the stove. Seemingly this makes it easier to remove the soot though I have not tried that yet.

Hope this helps.

George

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi Tengu,

I have to ask, why do you want scrap leather? how thick does the leather have to be? Have you tried your local scrap stores, the scrap store near me has a plentifull supply.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I found a good way to keep the cardboard coil in the proper arrangement whilst your wax is solidifying is to use a comb slotted on top. Make sure you don't end up with it stuck in the stove at the end though!

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
Hi Tengu

Have you tried local charity shops and boot fairs as well.

Last month I picked up 3 leather skirts and a leather jacket, total cost about £15 for the lot.

Lots of really nice leather to work with. I am now looking at shoes and handbags, (to complete the outfit :D , only joking, really!), but more likely to get nice thick leather for tougher pouches etc.

I have also mentioned the leather work to everyone I meet and have got all sorts of different leather items.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE