Here's my first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
I picked up a small hazel branch the other week and decided to have a go at releasing a spoon from it, inspired by some of the pictures I've seen here. So, without further ado, here it is.

spoon18ua.jpg

spoon26zn.jpg

spoon33tu.jpg

I made it with the small knife in the picture and some wet and dry. The bowl was the hardest part and the part that is least well finished, apart from that I'm happy with it. I have yet to buy any oil to finish it off so it's in its raw state at the moment. Thanks for viewing.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is good for a first try. My first spoon ended up a bit square shaped and not by me making it that way. It just happened, but to my benefit. The squared ends make it easier to get into the corner of a mess tin or crusader cup! My second spoon was a serving spoon for use with my billy can. I sanded it down a bit too much and when you hold it up to the light, you can see a portion of the spoon is "Waffer thin, monsiuer!!" I started another one when I had to pop off to Canada for a while, I may finish that off this week.

Hints and tips on the back of a postcard please!

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
I enjoyed making it, and I'm working on a second one now.

The bowl is too thin to be sanded any more, that's why I left it as it is, and it's something I'll watch out for on my next one. Thanks for the tips:)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
well done BP.

Was that Hazel 'seasoned' with the washing up liquid formula we've been talking about? I've taken the piece of holly out of solution now and no cracks so far!

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Hi Marts. That hazel was seasoned 'au naturel' - it was a piece of standing deadwood that had dried perfectly with no cracks. I'm trying out the washing up liquid thing - I just updated that thread. There's a similar thread over on BB that I updated too, and I'm beginning to lose track of where I've posted what. Fingers crossed for your holly. From what I understand holly is a bugger to dry without it cracking because the grain is spiral.

One thing I'm thinking more about is if the treatment works, how to seal the wood properly so that there's no chance of the treatment leaching out if the wood is exposed to humid atmospheres in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE