Aluminium Potjie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A few years ago I bought a small potjie from the bring and buy stall at the Bushmoot. When I picked it up off the table I was immediately impressed with how little it weighed. Turned out that despite looking like a cast iron pot it was made of aluminium.

It has been a regular part of my camp kit ever since and I have searched in vain for a larger one but had no luck until now.

Potjie.jpg
Following a search for something else, I stumbled on a link to a South African Shop and knowing that they were commonly used out there I had a quick poke around. There they were... ( Aluminium Potjie )

Not cheap but just what I was looking for. The No.3 is big enough for my little potjie to fit inside for transport and importantly, big enough to be used as a dutchie.

I know people will say cast iron is better blah blah.. but This is substantially lighter and doesn't go rusty at the drop of a hat. I've used and maintained iron pots for years, I used to run a medieval kitchen with both iron and bronze cauldrons so I know their qualities well. This is exactly what I've been looking for though.

The finish is fair, about what I have come to expect from cast ware these days. The lid lift point was drilled slightly off centre which led to the lid tipping when it was lifted. A few minutes with a file soon sorted that out. Regrettably very few things arrive in recent times that do not require some degree of fettling. It seems that modern retailers lack the sense of pride that traders once had.

I have given it a rub over with stove polish on the outside to kick start the blackening up that will occur naturally at it is used. By the end of the Bushmoot this will look just like an iron pot.

That will of course fit in very nicely with the retro feel of our Steam Tent Co-operative camps.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
The lid lift point was drilled slightly off centre which led to the lid tipping when it was lifted.
Not necassery a bad thing. Tipping the lid when lifting makes the condensation water run back in to the pot instead of all around it. Not a big deal if you are cooking outside but bigger if you are inside in a kitchen and don´t want to mess up the stove..

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
My only caveat on aluminium and campfires is that if the pot runs dry, it'll melt.
Been there, done that :sigh:

Otherwise, nice find :D
Likewise but I assume a thick pot like this would be a lot more resilient than a thin bushpot.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The one I melted was a maslin pan so about a cm thick....it was supposed to be being watched, but it wasn't. It was boiling up for dye.
A campfire can get up way above the 660˚ necessary to melt it.

Unusual circumstances I agree, but still worth minding.

I still think Wayland's pot's a good thing though :)

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've seen plenty of amorphous aluminium nuggets come out of bonfires and no doubt that pot would meet the same fate eventually. My point is that the thickness and greater overall mass can buy some extra time by conducting heat away from the base so that hopefully you'll come back to an entire pot and only suffer the indignity of burnt food! I'm painfully familiar with absent mindedness, hence no aluminium cookware for me... Plenty of 'dukot' for dinner though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
While I mind though, I have a genuine Carron Valley iron cauldron. It's at least a couple of hundred years old, and it's sound, well used, and I do use it still, but it's not particularly heavy.
It's a heck of a lot lighter than my cast iron potje thing of similar size. I think they make the modern cast iron too thick tbh. I have a lecreuset saute pan that I can't lift one handed. That's just stupid. The wee cauldron is easy to lift, easy to use.

Apart from having to watch it on some fires, I think an aluminium one is a good idea. My pressure cooker is and it does fine :)

M

Reactions: Wayland

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Bushcraft, should be about slowing down from 2023 and studied deliberation . I’m tired of melodramatic’ caught in a storm with minimal kit’ you boob episodes. It’s called a WEATHER REPORT. When my camp is made and fire down lto coals , THEN I enter cooking with the focus of a master swordsman. I don’t need Gordon Ramsey dropping FBombs
or Survival School Alpha Males
Critiquing my knots. Im COOKING DINNER- primal growl and kits to precious to abuse.
Lovely bit of kit there

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Bushcraft, should be about slowing down from 2023 and studied deliberation . I’m tired of melodramatic’ caught in a storm with minimal kit’ you boob episodes. It’s called a WEATHER REPORT. When my camp is made and fire down lnto coals , THEN I enter cooking with the focus of a master swordsman. I don’t need Gordon Ramsey dropping FBombs
or Survival School Alpha Males
Critiquing my knots. Im COOKING DINNER- primal growl and kits to precious to abuse.
Lovely bit of kit there
Much the same as my feelings.

Any fool can be uncomfortable and life is too short for ugly kit.

Canvas time for me is about comfort and enjoyment these days.

Last edited:

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
If you aren't bothered by having legs on your pot - have a look at a carribean "Dutch Pot" or "dutchie" too. Basically what they call a Dutch Oven - but usually made from Aluminum. You can get all manner of sizes - i've seen up to 50cm. Look on eBay:

A lot of ethnic shops will sell them too.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If you aren't bothered by having legs on your pot - have a look at a carribean "Dutch Pot" or "dutchie" too. Basically what they call a Dutch Oven - but usually made from Aluminum. You can get all manner of sizes - i've seen up to 50cm. Look on eBay:

A lot of ethnic shops will sell them too.
Thanks for that but I have what I need now.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Reactions: Wayland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE