Help with choosing my sleeping bag for the weekend.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 30, 2012
Hampshire
I'm off to inwood campsite this Friday for a night. I've only ever camped in the summer. (festivals and cadet summer camps years ago) I'm just looking for advice on what sleeping set up I will need.
I have a choice of;
My snugpak softie micro chrysalis with me wearing my softie trousers and jacket. Which I would prefer as it takes up no room whatsoever.

Or

My army issue artic sleeping bag. It's the one after the 58 down one. It's the synthetic one. 95?

I will be sleeping under my basha on a camp bed with a army issue inflatable mat in my bivvi bag. Thanks in advance for your help.

All the gear, no idea haha.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Not sure what your thermal ratings are mate. But I was out last weekend in a snugpak sf that was good down to -5°. I was down to my boxers and a long sleeve top in my hammock with a thermarest under me and woke up hot. But I've camped out one weekend every month come rain or snow, so am a little more adapted to sleeping out.

Apr 30, 2012
Hampshire
Thanks for the reply and advice. I think it's ratings are comfort 7c and extreme -2c. But I plan to sleep fully clothed and in my softies. I will just try it out, I'll bring the artic in the car as a back up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The overnight temps are going to drop again at the weekend, nothing too bad but around 0*c in some parts.

With your softie suit and the chrysalis I would've thought you'd be fine, but if you've got the motor with you then you might as well take the arctic bag too.

Have a good one, take some pics for us

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Go for the snugpak option just make sure you have a pair of thick clean socks for bed.

Also try and get a spot with no wind, without a bivvi bag the wind will rip through you, unless in a tent of course

Good luck

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for the reply and advice. I think it's ratings are comfort 7c and extreme -2c. But I plan to sleep fully clothed and in my softies. I will just try it out, I'll bring the artic in the car as a back up.

I don't know about you but I find I sleep colder at night if I got to bed fully clothed. Most sleeping bags seem to rely on your body heat warming the bag and then keeping that heat in it by stopping it leaking through the outer layer. Sleeping in your clothes insulates your body heat from warming the bag. I know it sounds odd but trust me it works. I've proved that on many occasions at bike rallies and some rough camping not Bushcraft related. I'm not familiar with these softies you mentioned so if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying about sleeping fully clothed then excuse my ignorance.

Getting that thermal layer under you that you mentioned on your campbed is a good idea, that mattress will work wonders. Having warm socks on makes for a world of difference as well.

I know I haven't added much in the way of ground breaking advice, but I wish you well. Have fun.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Agree with biker. The less I wear in my bag the more comfortable the nights sleep. It can be a little chilly to start with, but once up to temp, it's all good.

a good hat is a must and a wind break. Also more thermal layers under make a big difference

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think restrictive clothing such as hard shells or wind blockers can have an effect on the insulating bag, but if you wear insulative clothing such as a down jacket or pants or a synthetic equivalent like the softie suit, then I do find it actually helps to boost the bag. If I'm doing lightweight trips in the hills I'll often take a warm top for evening wear but it also gives me the chance to take a lighter bag and wear the clothes for sleeping in too.
I've found down to really help and also some of the Primaloft clothes I've got, cotton I find makes me colder, fleeces I'm still not sure about, I think they trap quite a lot of warm air which then robs the sleeping bag. 90% of the UK camping year I sleep in merino base layers, unless we're having a really good summer I've usually got some on. Thicker for autumn and winter but also lightweight merino for 2 season trips.

Folk do sleep at different temperatures though so it's always good to experiment and find what works best. The clothing/ no clothing argument has been around as long as I can remember

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE