help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
has anyone got any recommendations on Nanoks Endurance sleeping bags ?
Im torn between the -10 bag or the -25 ?
Im looking to use it for winter camping its a fair bit of money so wouldnt want to get the wrong one :?: :?:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've had a lot of experience of the Nanok Endurance -25. It's a bag I rave about regularly, as you'll see on my past posts. So first off, good one, you chose the right bag! :biggthump
However, between the -10 and -25 it's a simple choice - what are you using it for? If it really will be cold, then get the warmer bag. If it's just the UK there is no reason you can't use the -10 bag all year anywhere in the UK. It's rare we see temperatures lower than this, and even if we do, I am confident to sleep in my -25 lower than the rated temp (and have done on many occasions with no problems whatsoever).

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Simple answer....get the warmest one you can genuinly afford....

You can always unzip it if you're too hot....on the other hand you can always wear extra clothes in the not so warm one...

In this case as you've chosen a good make let your pocket guide you on model....rather than hype from manufacturers :wink:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have heard that the pack size of the -25 is HUGE!!? though i've no first hand experience with them i think you can expect most nanoks to preform pretty well!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Get both!! Then you have all bases coverd

Are the rating comfort or extreem. I'm guess if chris has used his -25 below that that the -10 would be fine for uk use. Of course if you tend to get cold then go with a warmer bag

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
HI i have been looking at these bags to and think i will opt for the -10 as uk winter isn't that bad, But before i buy dose anyone know how much room it would take up in a SABRE 45.

Cheers mal

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I have a -25 and a Sabre 45...
I can just about get the -25 in there!
I'm thinking the -10 isn't that much smaller , pack-wise though

Others on here have -10's though, do a quick search and find out who and perhaps give them a quick PM.

cheers :)
Carlo

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I've got the -10 and a sabre 45 - you can just fit it in with a thermarest 3/4 wrapped around the pack and have just enough room for a cream cracker for your rations...I use the plce puches for everything else.
I also use an old belt to tighten the sleeping bag stuff sac . Kind of prevents it from exploding everywhere

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
warthog1981 said:
has anyone got any recommendations on Nanoks Endurance sleeping bags ?
Im torn between the -10 bag or the -25 ?
Im looking to use it for winter camping its a fair bit of money so wouldnt want to get the wrong one :?: :?:

Hi mate,
I was using the Nanok -25 in a Quinzee here in minus 23 Celsius to minus 25 Celsius a night.
You can check out the pictures on my homepage:
http://web.telia.com/~u18313429/picture_gallery.htm
The bag was ok but I would like to have more comfort next time. So the next sleeping bag I buy will be a minus 40 or something like it. But I have to say that I live here high up in Sweden with a lot of snow and cold. If you buy the bag for England I believe you will enjoy a good time in it.

cheers
Abbe
:chill:

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
innocent bystander said:
I've got the -10 and a sabre 45 - you can just fit it in with a thermarest 3/4 wrapped around the pack and have just enough room for a cream cracker for your rations...I use the plce puches for everything else.
I also use an old belt to tighten the sleeping bag stuff sac . Kind of prevents it from exploding everywhere

Hi just two things having had the -10 do you think the -0 would be warm enough for british winter and secondly a tip i saw on another tread was to take out the spunge pading from the pocket inside the sabre and you can put the thermo-rest in there.

Edi_M

I've no experience of either, but my tuppenceworth is this : You've already got some idea of how cold it feels when the north wind blows in from the coast, but if you're thinking of winter camping in the northern cairngorms your biggest worry is not so much being warm enough (yes, I know it will be extremely cold) but staying dry. Too warm & you will sweat, that's more likely to cause you grief than being a bit too cold. So long as you're using the right shelter, I'd plump for the lighter of the two & choose the 'nightwear' accordingly. The space & weight saving could be used for more dry garments, & they are probably more important. So long as you're dry in the bag, you'll be ok.

I'd rather be dry but a bit cold & uncomfortable than comfy but sweating & eventually hypothermic any day.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
mal said:
Hi just two things having had the -10 do you think the -0 would be warm enough for british winter and secondly a tip i saw on another tread was to take out the spunge pading from the pocket inside the sabre and you can put the thermo-rest in there.
If it's anything like my Arktis 40/60 patrol pack you can use that sponge padding as a float, for swimming or whatever :biggthump

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
mal said:

Must admit, not having experienced the -0 i couldn't really comment. I suppose in part it depends on where and when. Probably be okay most of the time, but if you get some serious temperature for uk, you might need to wrap up a bit :?: I think most would recommend getting a warmer bag, as you an always open it up if too warm...
I haven't tried the foam pad trick - i shall have a go tomorrow, but it may be a squeeze. And i've only got the 3/4 TaR ! I reckon someone must have tried it, to mention it ?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'd suggest that a zero degree bag is definately not suitable for a british winter bag for most people. if you like you can borrow my zero degree ajungilak bag.

the -10 degree bag is probably your best bet. there might only be 610 grams between the -10 and the -25, but that's getting on for a pound and a half. if you're backpacking that's a very, very substantial difference.

try comparing typical season ratings to temperature ratings. to get a better idea of bags suitabilities.

cheers, and.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
My experience of Nanok bags is that they do more than they claim, ie it might say -10 but I wouldn't be worried if it was -12 or whatever. I only use a -2 bag for UK winter but I sleep very warm, so I think the -10 would be the best bag for you to get. The -25 is wonderful, amazing etc. but it's overkill for the UK.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
mal said:

Well I've just had a go at putting the 3/4 TaR in the pocket inside the sabre 45 and i can say it just fits. Down side of course is that it's a pain in the butt to squeeze in and out. It does free up a good bit of space in the main compartment, and the nanok -10 takes a good 3/4 of the pack - theres about 10 litres remaining for other stuff. Mind you, there's still the side pouches to fill up....
Just wonder how comfortable it is to carry instead of the normal back pad ?

Any one else tried it ?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
rather than trying to fold it and squeeze it into the pocket, you could just deflate it and loosely roll it into a big cylinder, just big enough to fill the inside of the sack. then put your sleeping bag and kit in the middle. your back will still be protected from any lumps and bumps, and your pack will be nice and rigid.

cheers, and.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Yeah, that's how i usually do it, but i've seen it mentioned and Mal's question spurred me to have a look. It looks quite good way of doing it, just a bit fiddly. Probably the ideal is a slightly larger pack for winter...So much stuff, so little room....Such a big sleeping bag :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE