Top Quilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My Rab sleeping bag has shed most of its feathers. So im looking for something for the cooler months.

The idea of a down top quilt appeals.

Does anyone have an recommendations for a quality quilt. Id prefer not to pay more than £250

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was not impressed by my JacksRBetter. I got their Sierra Sniveller that was rated below where I used it, and was cold. There were very obvious areas up on top of me that had insufficient down because it shifted. Also, it smelled of wet duck for a long time, even though I never got it wet beyond a bit of breath condensation.

Reactions: Wayne

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
I made myself a top quilt recently. Ventile top, fleece bottom and a 10.5 tog down quilt in the middle that I can change out or add to for different seasons. Tried it out at the weekend (it was about 6 degrees at 5am here in Perthshire) and it worked pretty well. That was about the price you are talking if you can access a sewing machine?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I made myself a top quilt recently. Ventile top, fleece bottom and a 10.5 tog down quilt in the middle that I can change out or add to for different seasons. Tried it out at the weekend (it was about 6 degrees at 5am here in Perthshire) and it worked pretty well. That was about the price you are talking if you can access a sewing machine?
It sounds like you made a Ventile/fleece duvet cover (giant pillow case) into which you put a 10.5 tog down quilt. Am I picturing this correctly? Is that a down quilt sold for indoor use on a bed, or as a camping quilt?
Is it intended for use in a hammock, or as a ground dweller under a tarp? What was the design intent?

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
It sounds like you made a Ventile/fleece duvet cover (giant pillow case) into which you put a 10.5 tog down quilt. Am I picturing this correctly? Is that a down quilt sold for indoor use on a bed, or as a camping quilt?
Is it intended for use in a hammock, or as a ground dweller under a tarp? What was the design intent?
Yep. That’s basically it. And the duvet is just a standard down duvet normally used indoors. It’s for in my hammock but is a standard single size so could be used for ground dwelling I would think.

I wanted something breathable/ water resistant but with the capability of increasing/ decreasing it’s thermal quality depending on season. It squashes down really well too which I am chuffed and surprised about.

I am under no illusions it could go totally wrong but I thought it would be worth trying as none of the off the shelf solutions suited me.

Edited to add; is there a way to put images on? I have a couple of photos of it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers!
It sounded like a fairly unique creation. I have dabbled in synthetic quilt making and have sewn other stuff and it is nice using gear you have made yourself. :bigok:

To add images direct you would need a paid membership, but you can use https://imgbb.com/ really easily to host some pictures. Lots of people have accounts with Flickr or Imgur, but imgbb doesn’t need you to register, which is nice for occasional photo posting.
Chris

Reactions: Olio

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Still think top Quilt a Sleeping bag with no zip.
Just turn Sleeping bag on side leave unzipped.
This works for some bags but by no means all. Some are made with less fill on the back panel as this gets so compressed when you're in the sleeping bag it's not much use, so when opening the bag up to use like a quilt, you have the most fill on the sides and the least fill on top. This doesn't make for a good quilt!

Edited to add that I learnt this from somewhere on here...can't recall whom but I thank them for this knowledge as it is indeed the case with two of mine!

Last edited:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I made one with an Apex lining. Cost about half what the commercial ones do and I love it. Need to make another one now that I can customised. Quite simple with a basic sewing machine though. I'll get some pictures later.

Nic 1084

Jan 21, 2013
Berkeley, Glos
I have a thermarest down one that I have used for about 7 years now. Has clips that fix it to a sheet that itself is fitted to the expedition air sunset I use. good system which has comfortably kept me ok down to 1 or 2 deg and with either a fleece blanket or a down blanket from Costco (£12 bargain!) down to -10... wife has a thicker one that was made for going on a hammock but adapted by her.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE