Hanging Pheasant, urgent help needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I do mine the same way as most on here by the look of things, hang by the neck (guts in ) for 3-5 days, pluck then gut. My farther skins his, cause he cant be botherd to pluck, I think loosing the skin looses some of the flavour, its all down to personal choice.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
nothing to add, other than ive seen the standing on the wings ang pulling the legs done with pheasant too has to be by far the fastest and easiest way.

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
this seems to be more a question of tradition and geography than of the right and wrong way.

We clean all the birds Iwe shoot, as soon as possible, quail, partridge, pheasant, water fowl... ... ...

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've been lucky enough to have been given 3 braces over the last few weeks and I've not bothered to hang any of them , I've just slit the skin down the breast (complete with feathers) pulled this back and removed the breast meat, the rest of the bird went into the bin, the longer you hang it, the stronger the flavour and its fairly strong anyway. I've not had a problem yet with them being tough.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Must like pheasant gamier than most as I tend to hang it by the neck in the state it hit the ground for around 10 days, sometimes as long as 2 weeks if it is especially cold.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Hang it in a dark area, nice and cool, Skin it ,whack the wings off it. Fillet the breasts and make rice and pheasie soup with the rest.Cook the breasts in olive oil,wee bit of stock, port, plum jam for a gamey sauce.Or if you get a regular supply , try it with a kung po sauce.PS , don,t be feared of picking one up at roadside, the majority of birds necks are broken with whiplash from lorries.FIL

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
filcon said:
Hang it in a dark area, nice and cool, Skin it ,whack the wings off it. Fillet the breasts and make rice and pheasie soup with the rest.Cook the breasts in olive oil,wee bit of stock, port, plum jam for a gamey sauce.Or if you get a regular supply , try it with a kung po sauce.PS , don,t be feared of picking one up at roadside, the majority of birds necks are broken with whiplash from lorries.FIL
Its a good point fil. Since we get lots, (4 or 5 brace at a time) we have become quite experimental. Fi swear by partridge madras, I on the other hand have a passion for garlic, ginger and spring onion - hey a birds a bird!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE