Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I was just reading an article by Ray Mears in my daughter's army cadet magazine (she's in the Army now (electronic warfare) so I get to read it! :-D :-D )

In this article Mears lists three tips for camping in the UK and one is to use a hammock as soon as it's warm enough.

How many of you use hammocks in the UK? Do you always find, well, two properly placed trees that are mandatory for a good night's sleep in a hammock? :?:

For those interested, the other two tips are 1 - Don't sleep under beech trees as they shed branches all the time and you might not wake up the next day and 2 - learn about the area you are going to.

He also lists Brussel sprouts as being the most disgusting thing he's eaten!!! I have to agree with that! :mrgreen: :eek:): :mrgreen:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I sleep in a hammock almost every time I go outdoors (even in winter)

however I must point out that I only use a hennesy hammock, which is very different from a normal hammock that most are used to seeing
www.hennessyhammock.com

They are available from woodland organics www.woodlandorganics.com

catULasym.jpg

I have found most other hammocks uncomfortable and impractable

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Which is the one that bushgear sell? They call it the original but I can't see it on the Hennesy site. If it's the cocoon, it's cheaper to buy direct from them, even with postage.

Definitely on my wish list when I have more spare cash - my cheapo hammock is very uncomfortable, so I usually just end up sleeping on the floor!

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I bought a Hennessy hammock a few weeks back direct from them

Explorer deluxe A-sym

Snakeskins for same

plus P & P

Total £127

also received a free Ripstop tarp for ordering before the end of December.
It seems to be a hammock canopy with all the fastenings plus a few more.
One of the reasons I finally decided to get one.
Being a Yorkshireman, I like a bargain.

We are 8hrs in front of them.
I rang at 10pm and it was 2pm in Canada.
They sent it on Thursday it arrived Tuesday Morning, I was also told if I had to pay any duty on it, to let them know and they would refund it on my credit card.
Have only tried it hung in the workshop at the moment but I think I am going to like it.
The snakeskins make it so easy to put up they are well worth it.
It has made me look at trees in a completely different way.

If you phone say hello to keltie for me

J

Jamie

I have to say that the Hennessy is THE best hammock around (IMHO). I have the Expedition Asym (with snakeskin) and cant believe how easy it is to get it up (sorry!!! :oops: ). Not only can you get it from the above but also Woodland Organics.

Hope you manage to get one and just lie back and enjoy!!!!!!

All th best

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello I have some experience with Hamock/hootchi/basha shelter during a Woodsmoke bushcraft course where I knew Stuart.
There we were shown the correct way to set up hamock/basha shelter and my opinions about are:
1. This combo is ligth and easy to set up but always trees must be available so camping above tree line or in desert areas is impossible.
2. You must know that one down from hamock is that your back gets cold becouse no insulation between your back and the hamock fabric and hamock is hanging in the air so air flows can cold it. You can avoid in some degree putting some insulation like clothes or other items. I used one aluminium blacket and my down sleepingbag. I remember to get up at 2:00 in the night with my back very cold so I suppose more insulation should have been used but beleave me was very tricky and noise to to into the hamock with my sleeping bag and aluminium blancket.
3. Too we were advised to sleep into a diagonal position to flattened the hamock so our backs should be straight, I got up with pain back.
So I discover that hamock and me are not compatible.
After that I tried the Stuart´s hamock and must say that feels more confortable becouse the diagonal design construction.
From them I have been looking for a real light shelter and I have ordered one SQUALL TARPTENT from www.tarptent.com.
Check the link and discover them, great service contact with Henry.
In next day I´ll try it and post my test resoult you can check some ones at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps and Bivys/Tarptent Squall/

I think a confortable sleeping is a must in wildness.
Enjoy happy dreams.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the best model hennesy hammock (and the one I use) is the ultralite backpacker A-sym the tarp comes with the hammock and attaches to the hammock not a seperate set of lines, so thats one less set of lines

it also only weighs around 800g, if your not a lightweight kit freek like me and would prefure extra comfort go for the expedition

The snake skins are a few pounds extra but well worth it reduces the pitching and taking down time to seconds

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Stuart said:
if your not a lightweight kit freek like me and would prefure extra comfort go for the expedition

I was going to get the Expedition but as the Explorer is larger and has a better canopy I went for the Explorer.
It is more money but after much thought and reading every test I could find, I decided it was the best one for me.

And according to the spec it is supposed to take more weight so hopefully this means it is stronger and will take more abuse.

I am not a Gear Freak but decided the extra room may be better option.

There is certainly more than enough room in it.

I get the feeling the tent may never see the light of day again

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I've used hammocks of various kinds for a number of years, from S.E Asian forests to the highlands of Scotland.

I've found that one of the best ways to keep your back warm is to use an underinflated thermarest inside it. Because its underinflated it conforms to the shape of the hammock - unlike a karrimat, but it still gives plenty of insulation to keep you warm. If you carry a thermarest/hammock/tarp combo you have all sorts of different options. If you dont have trees just kip on the ground!

I like the look of the Pods - I might look at one of them if I find some spare cash.

George

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
george said:
I like the look of the Pods - I might look at one of them if I find some spare cash.

George, I've got a BushKit Pro Pod.
Not tried the Hennesy's but i think it's great for the price, the Pro is double sized so you can sleep comfortably diagonally in it too.

Faca's right about all of those, especially the cold back remark... surprising how cold it gets, especially if the wind picks up and blowing under. Just seems to suck the warmth away from there.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I read that a foam/silver foil car windscreen reflecter, is compact and can work really well for cold weather.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We're getting some pods to review soon and we will be comparing the Hennessy, the Pods and the Eco System and any others that we can get hold of as well.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Hennessy do a big version the Safari, I had a good look at it but came to the conclusion it would be going over the top, it looks like you could walk round inside it.

I tried a normal hammock and fell out of it before I even got in.
This put me off them till I saw how you get in the Hennessy one.
There is not much chance of you falling out of one they are a lot easier to get into.
I did look at the Pod one, but thought it was not a lot for what it cost.
The big test will be when the midgies arrive.

miranda

Feb 8, 2004
I used to love sleeping in a hammock when I was younger, back in the days when I was skinny and oaks were stout - nowadays the situation is somewhat reversed :wink: and I am a little nervous of the whole thing falling down in my sleep (when the wind blows the cradle will rock ..etc)
So any tips for a good night's sleep would be appreciated.

(And how much will it hurt if the thing falls down in the middle of the night?? :?:)

Miz :lol:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
No problems Miranda.

I tie mine using a timber hitch, strong as a horse and easy to get undone.
Your own weight holds the knot.

Agree with Stuart the Asym is the best all rounder and it takes up to 90 kgs, well that's what it says on the bag but it does take a lot more, get the snakeskins to, great idea.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE