Hammocks.. The final decider!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which is it?

• Total voters

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Paganwolf said:
the H asyms have now got 30% bigger fly sheets, how much bigger is the hexfly that the old size fly? :?:
A lot bigger! I'll measure it tomorrow.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
can some one explain why the Hennessy Hammocks are better than the RM Eco Sleep System is it just a matter of price. this subject has probably been discus before if so just point me in the right direction many thanks

Mal

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Paganwolf said:
the H asyms have now got 30% bigger fly sheets, how much bigger is the hexfly that the old size fly? :?:
The Hexfly is a whopping 144 inch x 120 inch and has 6 attachment points.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have an EXPEDITION ASYM
Simply a great nights sleep.
I had a problem with my tarp (a small imperfection at a seam ).
I contacted Hennessy and they offered a replacement immediately.
However i asked about the hexfly and i was offered this ,less the price of the replacement.
They also added an extra pocket for the ridge line.
Top after sales for a top product.
Really easy and quick to put up and very comfortable.

395_9503_L_1.jpg

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
mal said:
can some one explain why the Hennessy Hammocks are better than the RM Eco Sleep System is it just a matter of price. this subject has probably been discus before if so just point me in the right direction many thanks

Mal
Hmmm, the answer to that (in my opinion) isn't clear cut. That question is going to take me some time to answer ... and the truth is that it really depends on what you are after.

I'll chip in later ...

More on this soon ...

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
It is possible to get the larger hex fly as an option if you order a HH direct. You specify which one ( there are the two types, PU coated and silnylon) and depending on which model you ordered either it is free ( i.e. receive a PU coated hex fly rather than standard silnylon one, or pay the difference for the one you have. Prices and details from the site:

REPLACEMENT RAIN FLYS

30D "HEX"-SHAPED SILNYLON RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144" x 132" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. This fly comes standard on the new Safari Deluxe but will provide even more protection from wind and rain for any model. The hex fly can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym, Explorer Deluxe Asym or Safar flies for the difference in price. 2 day, 3 day and overnight shipping not available for this option.
$129.95

70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144"x 120" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. 90z , 700 g. This fly comes standard on the new Safari Deluxe but will provide generous protection from wind and rain for any model. The "Hex" fly can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym or Explorer Deluxe Asym for no additional cost. Just indicate in the "Comments" section of the online orders page that you would prefer the hex fly. 2 day, 3 day and overnight shipping not available for this special option..
$59.95

I am not sure what the merits are (apart from weight) from the PU coated to the silnylon especially given the price of the silnylon. I guess weight is the most important consideration to some but I wonder if the PU coated would be more durable with not much more weight? Also which is more resistant to fire damage (from camp fire etc). And what about condensation problems? Is it worth the extra $70 or $129 for a new one?

Also I have the larger Explorer model which comes supplied with a bigger fly as standard. Sizes compared:

Expedition Asym/ Ultralight Backpacker Asym= 120" x 60"

Explorer Ultralight Asym/ Explorer Deluxe Asym=132" x 60"

Safari Deluxe Asym=144" X 60"

HH direct you can then change out the std fly for the Hex for no extra cost and you get the free snake skins of the right size
here you have to buy the std with free skins then pay for a Hex and bigger skins :rolleyes:

I dont know what you get spammed for Tax and Duty
but HH have a single PnP price of $30 to UK so if you order more n 1 its still $30

however Woodland Organics have been removed from the HH website as the EU importer and HH say they can supply from london on some stuff at the US price plus $50 to cover post and duty etc

i like HH but havnet tryed any others for comparison

Point to note you do need back insulation for UK under blanket etc
i may try there 4 season system again only avalible direct

ATB

Duncan

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I have the Hennessy Hammocks Explorer Asym, I have pimped it with a Hex Fly and suitable snake skins :morpheus: . I also use a group buy underblanket :rolleyes: .

It is the puppy's parts.

I have only spent three or four nights in it since I have owned it (over a year now). The best nights sleep you can have out of doors.

Stewey.:D

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
What about DD Hammocks? Its my first hammock that I've only had for a few months, so I wouldn't personally vote on any right now due to lack of ownership/testing & experience, but I do know my DD Hammock was cheap and has done the job for me so far, its a well known brand I thought as far as hammocks go, how come it isnt on the poll?

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
What about the clark hammocks . They seem to be of better design than the henny (which i use) , would be intrested in what any owners think . I am not overly keen on the fixed in mossie net on the henny and the clark one seems to be the best of both worlds .
Go here for a gander . Pricey but could be worth every penny if quality is good .
Cheers
Pumbaa

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Was going to ask the same question Nightwalker, I use a DD Travel (In Scotland we need the netting ;-) after a mate bought one and raved about it. The DD is thai-style, if this thread is anything to go by ...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/articles/diy/all-thaid-up.html

... it's not the lightest or the most glamourous - but it does the job. It's double-layered so I can get my thermarest in to keep me back parts warm.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
You will note that this thread is over 3 years old and it wasn't a nearly a comprehensive list then, not taking in to account new hammocks which have been introduced to us since then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE