Gun talk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Lurch said:
Oorah!!!

Me too, but I think it is actually a civvy rifle adopted for military use rather than t'other way around.

The gun may well be but the good ammo is only available to the mil and no other gun uses the .50 cal Raufoss Mk 211 round to my knowledge.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Actually a quick search leads me to think you could buy the assembled round in the US without being military.
I was thinking that you might be able to buy the tip and assemble without extra authority but that seems unnecessary.
In the UK you'd need to be the MOD to buy such a round or convince your local authority that you had a large Godzilla problem on your property.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Squidders,

Hand loading is the practice of "rolling your own" ammo.

Basically you take used (or new) brass (aka the cartridge case)

You pop out the used primer (if re-loading). This is done with a press and die (think something that looks like a manual beer pump with a carefully machined tube inside that accepts that size of case)

So - you De-cap (remove primer), re-size the case and flare open the mouth. Put a new primer in, add a carefully weighed or measured amount of the right powder (there are tables to help with this), put a head in the top of the case, crimp closed, Roberts your mums bruvver.

The advantage of reloading is that you can "tune" the round to your rifle. Got a short barrel? Use a faster burning powder to get the right velocity. Got a long heavy barrel? Use slower powder to even the pressure curve. You can play with powder types, weights, head weight and shape, primer type etc. to get the best possible round for your rifle.

Red

Oh - and I'd rather have a Steyr Scout BTW...oh hang on ...I have :D
scout1lw7.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lurch, Squidders

There is a UK club (the FCSA- Fifty Calibre Shooters Assoc) that fire .50 in the UK at Sennybridge and a limited number of other ranges. Generally only ball ammo is permitted on a section 1 ticket though

http://www.fcsa.co.uk/

Red

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
British Red said:
Lurch, Squidders

There is a UK club (the FCTS - Fifty Calibre Target Shooters) that fire .50 in the UK at Sennybridge and a limited number of other ranges. Generally only ball ammo is permitted on a section 1 ticket though

Red

Cheers Red, i'm lost with the terminology ;o)

Do you have anything belt fed? :lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Squidders,

No I love proper target shooting - it really is a very inclusive sport - I shot with my Girlfriend (who is better than me) plus people in their eighties to teenagers. Guys who are deaf and others who have spinal injuries. Its great to find a sport at which everyone can compete on an equal footing!

Belt fed implies full automatic - this is normally prohibitted in the UK (section 5) as is semi automatic (fire once and the rifle chambers another cartridge automatically) other than for .22RF and shotgun. I do miss the sem rifles as they were fun to shoot and there were a number of useful features to a semi. Never owned anything belt fed though :)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh...ball ammo - think "solid"...not expanding (only permitted for hunting use) or incendiary (special license needed)

Red

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Martyn said:
Gents, Perhaps the NRA crowd can start their own "my favorite gun" thread or something? Stand easy. :)

Good to see even Moderators have a sense of humour! Or did you really mean to say: “Perhaps the NRA crowd can start their own My Favourite Gun thread or something” on another web site??

Cheers

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
elma said:
what you want is an accuracy international AW 338 lapua magnum and a nightforce scope. :approve: :AR15firin

Only one problem with that:
You can’t use it (for zeroing, practice or load development) on an MOD approved range such as Camp Bisley!

"Urgent Safety Notice - .338 Rifles
NEW RANGE DANGER AREA RESTRICTIONS FOR .338" (8.6mm) RIFLES
"Range Safety Notice 06/05", dated 25th July 2005, has been issued by the Land Ranges Working Party (responsible for safety on ranges throughout the UK). This was received by the NRA on 30th August. "Range Safety Notices" are issued in advance of amendments to JSP 403, and are to be implemented immediately on receipt of the notice.

This Range Safety Notice contains the new "Weapon Danger Area (WDA) Template" for the .338" (8.6mm) Long Range Rifle. Despite the fact that the MV and ME limits of this rifle fall within the normal limits for a Gallery Range, the designated minimum length of the Range Danger Area (RDA) for this rifle is 3,700 metres (4,034 yards). Stickledown and Century ranges have RDA lengths of 2,900 and 1,830 metres respectively, and the new WDA template for the .338" rifle clearly exceeds both of these. In the case of Stickledown the WDA template runs well beyond Red Road into the housing estate beyond, and in the case of Century it overlaps either the Clay ranges on the LHS or Short/Long Siberia (and Furze Farm) on the RHS. It is therefore regretted that an immediate ban must be placed on the use of .338? (8.6mm) Long Range Rifles on any of the Bisley ranges. No "down-loaded" ammunition will be permitted. There will be no exceptions to this rule, and the Range Safety Regulations (Edition 4, dated 01 September 2005) have been amended accordingly."

Cheers

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
British Red said:
Lurch, Squidders

There is a UK club (the FCSA- Fifty Calibre Shooters Assoc) that fire .50 in the UK at Sennybridge and a limited number of other ranges. Generally only ball ammo is permitted on a section 1 ticket though

http://www.fcsa.co.uk/

Red

[andypipkin]Yer. I know. [/andypipkin]

I'd have .50 tomorrow, but they're a whole load of cash to buy and feed.
Multishot shotgun and a lever action .357 first.
:cool:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lurch,

You can play with my .357 if you like. I do keep toying with a little practical S/G - theres an active group at our club doing it and I have a renewal coming up next year so I may have to succumb to an 870 or 1100 or similar :). I do like the .50s but I'd only get to shoot it 3 or 4 times a year and, like you say, its a lot of cash for that often. Now since the whole AI thing came up, a Riflecraft TMRII in .308 is tempting....

Red

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
British Red said:
You pop out the used primer (if re-loading). This is done with a press and die (think something that looks like a manual beer pump with a carefully machined tube inside that accepts that size of case)

I roll my own rifle and pistol ammo.
This is my temporary reloading bench.

429_2956_1.jpg

The progressive press on the left is for pistol ammo, every time you operate the lever a complete loaded round drops out.
The small press on the right is for rifle ammo or small runs of pistol ammo.
It's slower and takes several separate operations to complete a round.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I really have to get a progressive - still using single stage for all my laoding and it is a bit of a chore!
That looks like a Lee Lawrence (guessing here but the primer sorter and powder measure look right). How do you get on with it?

Red

PS naughty,man with a kinetic hammer - oh, hang on, you only use it for checking COL on test seatings don't you - I forgot :D

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Most of my kit is LEE and i get on well with it but i know others who have had problems with progressive LEE's.
To be honest i think it's down to operator error in most cases and if you take your time and set it up right and understand how it works it's pretty straight forward.
Im not sure that i'd use it for rifle rounds , i bought this one to feed my pistols and i will probably get a better single stage press as i get more into rifle shooting but that won't be for a while.
My bench isn't solid enough, this is just a short term bench until i get round to building a proper workshop.
A friend uses a Dillon but i didn't really like it and most other guys in my club use LEE or RCBS.
Most of my mates are loadimng for pistols so progressive's are popular but for rifle i'd stick with a good single staion or a turret.
I load 6.5 X55 Swedish on the LEE turret and it's fine but it's only for Service Rifle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE