Good old telly programmes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've been looking for a few old programmes that I used to watch, namely Les Hiddens' Bushtucker Man and a BBC survival programme with Lofty Wiseman called survival team.

Les probably needs no introduction, the programmes were great. I remember him making a chair out of three branches, an old hessian sack and a bit of fencing wire that he had in the back of his landrover! A brilliant series, I cannot find it on DVD anywhere.

As for Lofty Wiseman, I know his son who is in the Engineers, he is nothing like his dad! He drinks to excess and has no interest in any of the techniques his father has mastered, but he's a good bloke. But I digress.

Survival team was about a bunch of people taken from there everyday lives and taught in the grounds of some rich buggers vast estate how to erect shelters, catch fish and other game, how to prepare their food and how to ensure they had a fresh drinking supply. It also covered other aspects aswell, and after they had got to grips with this, they were flown out to a small island, abandoned there and left to fend for themselves.

Lofty was on the island to give advice, and I believe he had a mate with him, Tom Brown ring a bell? anyway, they roamed around looking at all the different food available and how they could live a life of luxury.

A really good programme, it had its ups and downs, such as when one of the members of the group went for a walk by himself. To prove a point, Lofty made them run around the island looking for him and they lost a whole day fishing, gathering and shelter building. They were not happy!

Does anybody remember either of these programmes and know where to get a hold of them?

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I too would love the old Bush Tucker Man series on DVD. Les Hiddens was essential viewing whenever he was on. Did he ever publish the bush survival guide he was building by travelling around Oz? Let me know if you ever find it and vice versa etc..

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I can remember some controversy over Loftys programme as the media revealed they had killed a seal when on the island(which was off the welsh coast ,I think) .I dont think it was shown on the programme although I seem to remember seeing a seal skin.I think the other instructor was a British ex S/F type. I enjoyed it .

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't remember that!! Although, I was young when it came out. My dad taped it, and we watched it to death, but I'm sure the tape snapped a few years back and he binned it :( It was great viewing though. I'd love to watch it again.

If anyone can get channels from around the world, or for those of the forums in Aus, check out http://abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc2/200507/programs/DO8830H001D9072005T180000.htm It appears he was on, maybe they are starting his programmes up again. Here's hope for a DVD release!!

G

Gripper

Hi,

You can get all the Bushtucker Man series on DVD, both the original series and his "stories of survival". I have both sets of DVDs and four of his books including a bushtucker guide designed to be carried in a daypack of pocket.

Mark

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The Bush Tucker Man CD ROM was released a few years ago, which had all the info he collected. Unfortunately I gather it's only for PC. Arg. there are times I regret this Mac!
I have the original series on dvd and its great. He really is a master of this stuff. You should be able to buy the cd rom and dvd from the abc site listed below.
I hadn't heard of that pocket guide though... has anyone got a link for it?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The Exploring wild Australia book is excellent. It's full of great maps, routes, bush tucker guides and local exploration and folk lore info. I also has a section on camping in the bush using a 4X4 and various ways of keeping it on the road.

I hope to get his DVD soon.

James

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Wow, you guys over in Blimey have got wicked TV shows! The only thing remotely resembling a survival show over here is this one called "survivor man" right outta the US. The guys an idiot. He shows up swearing sponsored clothing, lugging cameras with him, and doesn't do a whole lot of survival. Hmmm.....maybe I should move to London. Always wanted to drop acid at Picadilly! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE