Good but reasonably priced rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
It's certainly a cheap tent, but at 1500mm it might not be that waterproof. Also, check your happy with the height and that it gives you enough space to sit up in, can be very uncomfortable if you can't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
You're right, and I've changed my mind yet again. I think I'll just stick with the tent I already have! I've bought too many things over the past few weeks. Saves money and also I can be sure there's plenty of space. :eek:

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Good thinking, no point in buying something you won't use for long. Also tent buying can be an addiction as I've found to my cost...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
what will camping in the tent do to help you tarp camping?
As I said in a previous thread, referring to someone else:

"I was out for a while trying to learn several knots in the woods and I looked out at the trees and remembered what you said. I should just get some more camping experience before trying the tarp. I just really want to get out there, so I've made up my mind to postpone tarp camping, if that's the correct word, for a few weekends whilst I just get out more in the tent. I think that's a sound idea as I'll be able to try setting up the tarp whilst I'm camping with the tent and I can be sure of a decent shelter as you say."

:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
what will camping in the tent do to help you tarp camping?

Tom, a tent is an easy shelter to pitch, its better than a tarp in that it keeps the wind out, the water out, its warmer, no need to go lighting fires, lets you dry your clothes out, eat food in relative comfort, more sociable if sharing.

A tent for someone relatively new to camping (and solo camping for sure) is a perfect solution, take the tarp as well on a few trips and try different set ups but they should always have the safety and comfort of a tent to fall back on as their skill base grows I'd have thought?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Tom, a tent is an easy shelter to pitch, its better than a tarp in that it keeps the wind out, the water out, its warmer, no need to go lighting fires, lets you dry your clothes out, eat food in relative comfort, more sociable if sharing.

A tent for someone relatively new to camping (and solo camping for sure) is a perfect solution, take the tarp as well on a few trips and try different set ups but they should always have the safety and comfort of a tent to fall back on as their skill base grows I'd have thought?
Yep, perfect response. That's the idea.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I have a question though. Does anyone know how I would attach my foam mat to it?

to give you another option of attaching your foam mat on the outside of your pack is instead of rolling it up you can ''fold it flat'', you fold it in half lengthways, then half again (or as many times as deemed neccesarry) then push it throught the two vertical webbing straps that connect the lid to the bottom of the pack. That way you can still sit pack upright on floor, it doesn't tower over your head and catch on foilage like when fitted on top of pack, and as its not rolled tight but folded flat it lies flat on pack, just a suggestion for you everyone has their own preference (i pack mine inside the pack and like a pack that has enough room to stick stuff in and out with ease without having to cram stuff in to bursting point, i use a 30l or 50l pack pedending on time out).

rg598

Native
7OYV1ac.jpg

I went for a 44l Highlander Pro-Force job for about £40. It fits everything in, at a stretch I'll admit, but it does the job and it is fairly cheap. It's just the tent that makes it all a bit of a tight fit but that problem will be solved when I switch to tarp. The thing I dislike is the waist straps as they're very bulky and I'm not going to use them. Have a look at the picture on the right. They're a bit unnecessary and I can't take them off as they've got padding and it's not just a strap. I've had to make do by tucking in the belts and buckles there.They get in the way. Oh well.

Everything I have is in this bag, so a 44l is enough and I'll have more space when I switch to tarp camping. I have a question though. Does anyone know how I would attach my foam mat to it?

:)

Do not ditch that hip belt. It is worth its weight in gold. It makes a huge difference when you actually start moving. Not only can you transfer most of the weight on your hips, but you can alternate it between your shoulders and hips. The weight doesn't seem like much when you put it on for a few minutes, but after carrying it for a whole day with a few liters of water and food, you really start to feel it.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Do not ditch that hip belt. It is worth its weight in gold. It makes a huge difference when you actually start moving. Not only can you transfer most of the weight on your hips, but you can alternate it between your shoulders and hips. The weight doesn't seem like much when you put it on for a few minutes, but after carrying it for a whole day with a few liters of water and food, you really start to feel it.

excellent advice above from rg598, it is your hips that carry the bigest percentage of weight of a pack not your shoulders, it is also important that a pack ''fits'' you as well (your back length), a pack too short or too long for your back length can affect its carrying comfort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE