Gone Fishin'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like you've got the bit between your teeth too, kicking myself daily at all the things i told myself i'd get around to when i was as fit as a flea

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The vast majority of land in the uk is owned by a very small handful of titled folk,

Actually the largest landowners in the UK are, in order,

The Forestry Commission
The National Trust
The MOD
Pension Funds
Utilities and Railways

Not a title amongst the largest five landowners.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Sounds like you've got the bit between your teeth too, kicking myself daily at all the things i told myself i'd get around to when i was as fit as a flea

Yeh, we should do a sickness thread, so we can all have a good moan, about our collective ailments, and bloody doctors etc...:)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Actually the largest landowners in the UK are, in order,

The Forestry Commission
The National Trust
The MOD
Pension Funds
Utilities and Railways

Not a title amongst the largest five landowners.

:) Well, the people at the top of those organisations will be Lords.

The vast majority of land in the uk is owned by a very small handful of titled folk,
is what I said.

Which is true, as about 0.3% of the population own over two thirds of Britain.

If you have a look here, you'll see who owns the various counties. And all of them are titled:

http://www.who-owns-britain.com

The National Trust, the forestry commission etc, all own land which was once common land.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never had either. Sounds good though.

Good seafood (or freshwater fish for that matter) is always good. The trouble with many people only regard fish as a substitute for real meat; they'll probably never try the better aquatic dishes and thus perpetuate that belief.

On the other hand, those of us who either grow up eating lots of good seafood, of were introduced to it early, will always regard it highly.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:) Well, the people at the top of those organisations will be Lords.

Nope, not a single Lord on the commissioners of the Forestry Commission. The Director General of the NT is a Dame (but only a life peer in recognition of a lifetime of service, no hereditary lands or titles)

Forestry Commission land is owned by the people through the government and the NT is a charity and makes no profits (through grants or otherwise).

I know you have a passionate political position, but facts are facts. The largest landowners in Britain are charities, the government and public bodies.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
We seem to be talking at different ends as you've not addressed one point I made.

Nope, not a single Lord on the commissioners of the Forestry Commission.

The chairman of the forestry commission up until a couple of years ago was Lord Clark, the Baron of Windermere.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope, not a single Lord on the commissioners of the Forestry Commission. The Director General of the NT is a Dame (but only a life peer in recognition of a lifetime of service, no hereditary lands or titles)

Forestry Commission land is owned by the people through the government and the NT is a charity and makes no profits (through grants or otherwise).

I know you have a passionate political position, but facts are facts. The largest landowners in Britain are charities, the government and public bodies.

I trust your research. But it does beg the question: if those landowners are "public bodies" then shouldn't the public be allowed more use of the holdings?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I trust your research. But it does beg the question: if those landowners are "public bodies" then shouldn't the public be allowed more use of the holdings?

How much do you get to choose what to do in the White House? Its publicly owned after all :)

Oh Dave, your website link will not display properly in Firefox, Chrome, or IE - it uses unknown extensions. Perhaps ou can link to something mainstream like the Land Registry to show me who owns my land ?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

Prior to feudalism, which began with william the conquerer santaman, there were tens of thousands of 'freeholders' same as homesteaders. The majority of britain was common land. That land was stolen and divided up by the Normans, then during successive enclosures acts, by parliamentarians mainly.

The Crown has never actually acknowledged private ownership at all, so strictly speaking, no-one owns any land except the crown.

Oh Dave, your website link will not display properly in Firefox, Chrome, or IE - it uses unknown extensions. Perhaps ou can link to something mainstream like the Land Registry to show me who owns my land ?

I cant mate sorry, and Im on an apple, but the website lists the few families who own what acreage, by county, and they are all titled.

Its genuine data, and as you know the land registry dont know who owns up to 50% of the land in the UK, as land doesnt have to be registered.

Anyway, this is a very informative link: on how the land was stolen from us all.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry Dave - thats a political rant not an informative link. Anyway this is politics and we aren't supposed to do politics. Lets stop.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I didnt know we were 'doing politics' although yes, hes having a rant, but a factual one, and it really does bug me massively that were treated as bloody sheep.

Youre right though probably best to leave it there. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How much do you get to choose what to do in the White House? Its publicly owned after all....

True enough. But also apples to oranges. A fairer comparison would be how much access I have to the National Forests vs how much y'all have to the Forestry Commission Lands.

Or How much access I have to the White house vs how much y'all have to 10 Downing Street.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Prior to feudalism, which began with william the conquerer santaman, there were tens of thousands of 'freeholders' same as homesteaders. The majority of britain was common land. That land was stolen and divided up by the Normans, then during successive enclosures acts, by parliamentarians mainly.

The Crown has never actually acknowledged private ownership at all, so strictly speaking, no-one owns any land except the crown.

I cant mate sorry, and Im on an apple, but the website lists the few families who own what acreage, by county, and they are all titled.

Its genuine data, and as you know the land registry dont know who owns up to 50% of the land in the UK, as land doesnt have to be registered.

Anyway, this is a very informative link: on how the land was stolen from us all.

Dave,

There is nothing stopping you buying your own land.
It's a massive investment of finances to get anything of decent size or location, but it is possible if earnings are managed well and you have a LOT of patience.

I'm of the view that nobody is owed anything is this life, it's up to us as individuals to carve out the life we want for ourselves and our families.

I think it's easy to judge others from a quick glimpse, it's also nearly always wrong though.
Very very few people make money off land and if they do it's only after a lonnnggggggggggg time and a fair bit of luck.

Even people that are born into wealthy families have a hard time maintaining the estates.
What with maintenance costs, taxes etc it's not like they're sitting there counting their bundles of money collected from fishing rights or canoe clubs.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I think i need to apologise as i may have started it down the wrong path with my ramblings about the cost of fishing and lack of aboriginal rights for the common man.

Sorry for the offtopic deflection John and anyone reading this madness all day like i have, i did not mean to poke the hornets nest of politics with my pokey stick point of view

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE