Gone Fishin'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All the kit is in the photo really - I got the fish with a bit of space blanket ... which is the only thing not in the photo....The kit I have assembled includes 10 hooks, 10 swivels, corks for floats, lead sinkers, 60'of 8lb line on the tube, extra line, artificial maggots, home made spinners, feathers for lures, braided wire for leaders etc and tape to protect the line in transit.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
John you hit the nail on the head there, for my trip to loch lomond later this month i had originally planned to fish with a rod (illegal to fish without one inland) and then looked into the cost, firstly £28 rod licence, then £25 first time fishing on the loch registration fee, then £50 per week to fish, so if i wanted to catch 1 fish for my supper each day all month that is £253, even if i caught my dinner every single day that is £8.40 per fish, even the fanciest fish in the shop will not cost anywhere near that for a one person portion, not by a long shot. So now my plan is just to pop to any local shop and buy a piece of fish, at most i might sit with a stick pointing over the water for an hour before cooking it up like some sort of fishing simulator.

Seems it is a pastime for the rich who are board

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In texas the mackerel would be the bait to catch the bait for a real fish! :)

But I'm in Florida!

Seriously though, I'm used to "mackerel" to mean either King Mackerel or Spanish Mackerel. What species mackerel is the one you've caught?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I was amazed and disgusted at the cost entailed to fish, it is just not economically viable to me let alone factoring in the cost of my time, maybe if i loved the act of fishing i'd see it different but i am just looking for one fish each time for the next meal

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Try it out on a SOT kayak on the sea with simple rod or handline. Worth it even if you don't catch anything but quite often one does. Haven't been lucky from the coracle but it's still great out on an estuary.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
John you hit the nail on the head there, for my trip to loch lomond later this month i had originally planned to fish with a rod (illegal to fish without one inland) and then looked into the cost, firstly £28 rod licence, then £25 first time fishing on the loch registration fee, then £50 per week to fish, so if i wanted to catch 1 fish for my supper each day all month that is £253, even if i caught my dinner every single day that is £8.40 per fish, even the fanciest fish in the shop will not cost anywhere near that for a one person portion, not by a long shot. So now my plan is just to pop to any local shop and buy a piece of fish, at most i might sit with a stick pointing over the water for an hour before cooking it up like some sort of fishing simulator.

The locals do like to avoid the water baliffs

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
i don't blame them, if that is the actual legal cost i'd hate to see the fines

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for sharing that, book marked and will trawl it in hope of something local, shameful pun i know

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
cheers I found 3 local spots and 2 are viable, 1 is only for local residents of the specific area and is strictly enforced

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex

I wonder how much the fine would be if you got caught ?

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Just checked, maximum of £2500 plus a criminal conviction that shows up on a CRB. (One report gave £550 fine plus £127 costs). I think (but dont know)that a (£27?) rod licence would stop that, but not sure about not having the other licenses. Plus Scottish law can always be different, they hung, drew and quartered William Wallace for not having a rod licence. No, maybe I'm wrong there. :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sport of the rich or the carefree who take the risk, sadly put an end to my dreams of fishing for food, i hate this country nothing left but the scraps from the table

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Sport of the rich or the carefree who take the risk, sadly put an end to my dreams of fishing for food, i hate this country nothing left but the scraps from the table

Always was the case and it is interesting to try and work out how some public access was privatised. Marlborough in Wiltshire was a borough and the fishing in the town would most likely have been available for the burgesses at least as it was in Hungerford further down the River Kennet but somehow in the nineteenth century it became regarded as the private rights of one family but when I lived in the area nobody in town council or archives could show me when and how that happened, Most likely the gentry started treating it as their own with the connivance of the local magistrates and it has now become a "fact" that the fishing is private.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE