Gone Fishin'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I don't think there is any danger of that anyhoo after reading Johns perspective on it all

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave,

There is nothing stopping you buying your own land.
It's a massive investment of finances to get anything of decent size or location, but it is possible if earnings are managed well and you have a LOT of patience.
I'm of the view that nobody is owed anything is this life, it's up to us as individuals to carve out the life we want for ourselves and our families
I think it's easy to judge others from a quick glimpse, it's also nearly always wrong though.
Very very few people make money off land and if they do it's only after a lonnnggggggggggg time and a fair bit of luck.
Even people that are born into wealthy families have a hard time maintaining the estates.
What with maintenance costs, taxes etc it's not like they're sitting there counting their bundles of money collected from fishing rights or canoe clubs.

How do you know I dont own half of Yorkshire? I said earlier, I'll be leaving it there. [As certain people get unnecesarily tetchy when you comment on a thread discussing land ownership.......:rolleyes:]

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, I was on about the mammal. And i didn't mean it from the dolphins POV either....

BhmRNWbIcAA2V5S.png:medium

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I have to admit though, that I make similar mistakes all too often. Less because of my spelling ability, and more because of my poor typing skills (fat fingers)

I take my hat off to you, Santaman.
One could say that the treatment of the less fortunate is the measure of a man.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... 2.5 hours - 1 fish!
People do this for fun?

Apparently. Though I think a lot of them do it to get away from the house. :)

I could have gone to the fish merchant and bought several fish, fresh off the boat, gutted, filleted and ready to cook for what this cost me in time and effort ...

That's why we have so many people on the planet now that it can no longer support us all.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I take my hat off to you, Santaman.
One could say that the treatment of the less fortunate is the measure of a man.

But no elucidation...
Which comments did you find stupid?
Why did you find them stupid?
What would you standpoint be?
Why do you think yourself less fortunate?

By the by - Kong in Danish means King ..
The Danish version of the film title "King Kong" is "Kong King"...

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
You just hit another sore spot for me there Blaidd, Northumbrian Water owns my local reservoir (i used to always pay my water rates), took a kayak up last week after seeing pics on their website of people kayaking on it but no other info regarding kayaking, on arrival was told that i could not kayak on it due to the rights to use a boat on it owned by the sailing club and i had to contact them, so i did and they (insert your favourite swear word please) told me they wanted £55 per person per day for me to use my own boat on the water??? Was not a happy chap, came home and cancelled my water rates direct debit in personal protest, they can go jump for it.

leazes park lake lets boats on its water ! lol just kidding kidda ! Daves right about newburn club , it used to be university owned but its been awhile since I was down that way so it might have changed hands ? Have you tried any other reservoirs like whittle dene or fontburn both just up the road ?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
John can I offer some advice, hand line fishing is hard to pull off especially at sea I use a cuban Yo'yo regularly and it's one of the hardest methods of fishing to pull off, but looking at your kit from the distance you where fishing at your hook was too big and the bait wrong.

If your intrested John next time you are up my way mate I will sort you out a fishing lesson, Handline, LRF, Bait I'll teach you a few tricks.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried several baits - feathers, spinners, fake maggots .. the foil worked :)
Thanks for the offer - but I never intend fishing again - unless I am starving!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Seriously john the offer will stand (an is also extended to all the other BCUK regulars), as I said I use a yoyo regularly often while fishing with a rod an reel at really long range (My main sea rod is a 16ft Long Beam) the local Marks fish well at stupidly long range with really heavy weights or really close in at around 5 - 30m with small hooks and weights. You know what it might be time for me to get around finishing off the fishing for bushcrafters tutorials.

The Foil is a good bait, I have made feathers on the fly as it where with the back of a crisp packet! Those fake maggots though are a joke, the only time I use them is with a real one one and it's glow in the dark. At sea I have had mixed results with maggots as bait the water has to be really clear of rocks when your looking for micro species and oddly on beaches with with a river flowing into them using a course whip for Large sand eel's and flat fish or mullet of pontoons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE