getting blade home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
I have a large machette which I was given by a mountain guide while working in Philppines it was hand made by him.

the problem is it is being looked after by a friend out there how can i get it back to britain can it be posted?

Any help or ideas

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
yes

I export loads of knives though the post without any trouble. The best way to wrap it in a layer of cardboard first, bubblewrap etc next and then you can put some paper or part of a bin liner around that.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Any blade can be sent through the normal postal service as long as it is well wrapped for saftety's sake. I recently bought a batch of knives froma dealer in the US and had them sent by post with no problems at all. The knife / blade being sent does NOT have to be legal carry here in the UK. As long as it is not on the "Banned Items" list (Things like gravity knives, flick knives and balisongs) you have a perfect right to own the thing so sending and recieving it should be no trouble. Just make sure your friend wraps the thing well.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The illegal balisong is the "butterfly" knife - the one with the hinged two-part handle that you flip around the blade. Basically a low-tech flick-knife.

If yours is a machete-style fixed blade you'll be fine - as far as the law's concerned, a fixed balde (or a locking folder) is a fixed blade, and there's no legal difference (AFAIK) between an Opinel no 8 and a ruddy great claymore. Of course, it's more difficult to come up with a legally-recognized "reasonable purpose" for carrying a claymore... ;) But you can own / make / import one perfectly legally.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
heres a pic of the blade..
DSCN1033Medium.jpg

its not what the law would consider a 'balisong' and you should have no problems with importing it to the UK to the best of my knolage.. though someone smarter than me will be able to comfirm this for you with the help of above image!

HTH :cool:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
That's just a fixed blade, but do make sure the word balisong dosn't appear on the package or customs declaration. Call it a machette and there should me no problem if it is well packed, most of the blades I use in making are imported by me and never had a single hiccup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE