Fungi help required.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hello all,

My interest in fungi is growing rapidly at the minute as everytime i am out and about i usually see a couple. Problem being i have no idea what the different species are! :confused:

Does anybody know of a good quality beginners reference book as i would love to know more and try some of the edibles but with no knowledge i am stuck and it is not the sort of thing you can do with only a basic knowledge. :eek:

Ideally it would be compact, so that i can take it out and about with me!

Please help. :D

StormWalker

I recomend that you purchase a number of books so that you can x reference, because some books have drawings, others have poor quality picture yet accurate descriptions others are just basic. Collins nature guides are good, also the collins gem guide and the real gem is the Mushroom Identifier By Peter Jordan. I have about 15 books and still end up a little confused some times as the only way to id some mushrooms is with a micro scope and spoor prints, even the use of chemicals. Practise and collection coupled with good photography is the key. Purchase a digital camera like the fuji fin pix 5500 so you can get good pic it will help with id when you get home as you will have a record of the background habitat in the picture, which is very important in determining some species. Good luck. I can send you some exelunt pictures from my collection or you can check out a bushtruck web site. That has some exellent pictures.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
best book I've come across, which I use professionaly is :

Roger Phillips *Mushrooms and other fungi of great Britain and Europe* Pan Boooks ISBN 0330 264419. pub 1981

.. so maybe a little outdated by now. But it aint a field guide, more a keep at home style book. coffee table even...... but pretty good nonetheless.IMO

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Books are great, but there is no substitute for going on an organised foray with an expert - fungi can change drastically in colour and shape over the course of their fruiting lives and the pictures in a book don't always reflect this. There are lots of forays across the country. Although not a great time of the year for fungi at the moment.
:)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Marts said:
Books are great, but there is no substitute for going on an organised foray with an expert - fungi can change drastically in colour and shape over the course of their fruiting lives and the pictures in a book don't always reflect this. There are lots of forays across the country. Although not a great time of the year for fungi at the moment.
:)

Spot on comment and here's hoping that a Bushcraft autumn 2006 "In The Woods" tutorial actually happens.

Cheers

K

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
Thanks guys for the response. I agree that there is nothing like hands on experience, but i think a basic knowledge is required before i have a lesson.

Will look at the books listed and probably get them all. :confused: :lmao:

Thanks again. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE