Fresh/light carrying dishes to make?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I was thinking how I like to cook my food from fresh? The only thing is carrying the extra weight? Is there any good examples from everyone to make some nice fresh food that is weight effective. I just can't think of anything?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Even when base camping, it is, IMO, difficult to cook from basic,fresh ingredients. You just need so many different items, pots, pans etc that it makes meal preparation a major activity which detracts from one's outdoor experience. To say nothing of keeping food safe when unrefridgerated in even a UK summer. If you're backpacking, with a new cam site each day, the effort is too much. For me, a good compromise is to cook at home, from fresh ingredients, the meals that I enjoy, then dehydrate tnem so that they carry very light, and safe, and can be quickly and easily reconstituted at the camp site. You are restricted to stews and casseroles of the type spag bol, or chile or beans and rice. But IMO thye are good rib sticking food to replenish the calories burned in the day's walk. There isn'teven any extra work in preparing, when you make say spag bol, make a double or triple quantity, have one meal "fresh" and dehydrate the rest.For menus, recipes and techniques, I strongly recommend trailcooking.c.om and hungryhammockhanger.com (HHH has a great you tube channel). Compared with commercial offerings, youcontrol the content (only fresh ingredients e.g.) level of salt and spices, and portion size.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just over fifty years of camping and tramping under my belt now, and I've never found a way to do it; if it's fresh it's wet - if it's wet it's heavy. When I think on it, it's the one thing that's changed hardly at all, camp food is, by and large, the same now as it was all that time ago, except for the ease with which it's possible to de-hydrate safely and easily at home.

I think PDA1 has it very well in his post above.............The only way to do fresh is to carry in as normal, then go do it again with your grub and kitchen...............Nah, nor me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE