Fishing kit for norway help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I need help with a fishing kit for norway. Going to be spending a lot of time along coasts and fjords and will have the chance to do some fishing. If i can get a local license at the time fresh water, if not sea water. And hopefully do some frozen lake fishing.

I have never fished and know next to nothing, but will be staying with people who do and who will be able to keep me on the right track and show me the ropes though i want to have my own little kit so i'm not always borrowing others.

I have seen very small rods/kits in various bushcrafty shows like lars monsen etc when they are fishing in frozen lakes which look nice and compact and lightweight so after some suggestions. Are there any affordable little travel kits out there that i could pick up and learn to use? I don't want anything fancy (or expensive), just something simple enough so i have a chance to catch something here and there. thought about one of those small pen sized rods, but need help with what sort of hooks and lures etc

All in all i don't know what im doing, don't know what, or i want or need. so I would like some suggestions from those who know better :) any help would be great thanks!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hamish are you at NW this time?
If so I might be able to sort you a few bits out that you can have, at the same time I can go through some techniques and tackle with you.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For the ice fishing, you can make up a rod from some wood over there. Very simple to whittle from some birch and all you need to rig it is some line and hooks. I'd always take local knowledge on what lures to use and get those over there.

IMGP0111.JPG

For the fjords and rivers, there's so many different kinds of water and species that its hard to know what will work best.

I'd probably take a small telescopic rod, say 8 or 9ft and a 4000 size reel witha couple of spare spools-the 4000 size will just about cope with bigger lines for Pike and smaller, finer lines for the smaller species.

TBH, I'd pop into a local tackle shop and tell them what you want to do. If they are worth their salt, they'll give you some good advice and you'll learn a hell of a lot. Be prepared though, the little bits of tackle like shot, hooks and line really add up.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i like your improvised rod there very smart! some good advice there. I think your right if i have a basic rod, and some reels, then im halfway there. I can pick up the rest over there once i have been shown what works and what doesnt

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Hand line reel, 18-25lb line, some in-line weights with a diameter of about 3/4inch (the hole should run through the middle) some medium duty swivels and no8 hooks, I have spent a lot of time in the Middle East where they seem to mainly handline, the cast is fairly simple and I have drawn a diagram but no idea how to import it here and I don't have flicker or anything like that so I will try and explain or if someone else can post the diagram I can email it, thread the weight and tie on a swivel so the weight does not fall off, add another 18inch of line to the other end of the swivel and tie the hook to the other end so now you have line, weight, swivel, trace, hook! Bait hook and cast, take the line in your left hand ( if right handed) face the spool forwards so the line will slip off, pinch the swivel in the fingers of the right hand and let the weight drop to the length of the hook and pinch the line there, so you are pinching line and swivel with hook and weight hanging below at the same lengths, swing backwards once and let go on forward swing, it will go surprisingly far, try different length traces but I would say 18inch is about right. You can fish anywhere with this setup

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
And those pen rods or tele rods are pretty crap BTW, also I have never got anything on those rubber worms/lures, flies and spinners are another matter though, a nice travel spinning rod with a few dexter wedges would give you some fun but then you need a reel also and your into the money...

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
You dont need a license for fishing in sea water.
For freshwater you need to pay a fee in most waters, but not all. Licenses can be bought at as stations, grocery shops and via www.inatur.no.
The price can vary a bit, but typically NOK40 for a day, and NOK200 for a week.
You can get cheap (NOK 200-300) fishing sets at low price shops like Europris or Biltema. The quality is not the best, but good enough for a week or two fishing. You can also find goos sets at second hand stores.
you need the same kind of license for ice fishing as for ordinary fishing.
In creeks and small rivers it is often enough with a rowan stick, a line, sinker and a hook with earth worm.
I'll give you some quick lessons if/when you drop by.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
You dont need a license for fishing in sea water.
You can get cheap (NOK 200-300) fishing sets at low price shops like Europris or Biltema. The quality is not the best, but good enough for a week or two fishing.

This summer I fished a lot with an europris set and they work quite well. It wouldn`t last years, but it catches fish all the same. I mainly cought lyr (Pollock?) and mackrel in the fjords.

It sounds like you`ll be having a great time dreadhead!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE