eating freshwater fish (especially in the north east)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
alr ill manly freeline and float rather than lure fish- you can catch them (perch and trout) on 10g+ tobies tho?
The really small ones are alright I'm talking end off your thumb to thumb knuckle size I'm not sure off th weight but it's under 10 grams

Reactions: edwred

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Of what I recall, fresh water fish tastes earthy, we used to lace them with a sauce of some kind.
Then there’s the fine bones to contend with too.
I’ve never tried a chalk stream fish though.. I wonder if there better?

E

edwred

trout tastes nice- i just prefer freshwater to sea fishing for the relaxation factor e.g i find a babbling river nicer than the oily tyne and i can just put my rod down by a nice trout stream in the woods and chill out rather than worry about is my gear gonna get washed away am i going to snag my lure is someone gonna nick my rod

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Of what I recall, fresh water fish tastes earthy, we used to lace them with a sauce of some kind.
Then there’s the fine bones to contend with too.
I’ve never tried a chalk stream fish though.. I wonder if there better?
Chalk stream fish are lovely esp grayling earthy fish just need soaking in salty water brine for 24 hours of 48 iff large this removes all earthyness combined with hot curry it's like sea fish.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
trout tastes nice- i just prefer freshwater to sea fishing for the relaxation factor e.g i find a babbling river nicer than the oily tyne and i can just put my rod down by a nice trout stream in the woods and chill out rather than worry about is my gear gonna get washed away am i going to snag my lure is someone gonna nick my rod
Trout tastes great in June after its eaten mayflies all may I personally believe it's meat is highest quality at this time .Winter trout are skinny n horrible lol

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Chalk stream fish are lovely esp grayling earthy fish just need soaking in salty water brine for 24 hours of 48 iff large this removes all earthyness combined with hot curry it's like sea fish.
I take it you mean to gut & par the fish first, as I’m sure osmosis
comes into effect?
Which leads me onto another question.. salmon live in the sea & in fresh water, how’s that work?

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I take it you mean to gut & par the fish first, as I’m sure osmosis
comes into effect?
Which leads me onto another question.. salmon live in the sea & in fresh water, how’s that work?
Obviously you gut them first , a salmon tastes good fresh run but taste bad far upriver why ? I don't know. Feshwater just had that effect unless it's deep clear lake or stream , brine reverses this effect try it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE