First Sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greenbeast

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
Northiam, East Sussex
I'm new to this, just had a reintroduction to camping recently and loved it (it was wild camping as i'm lucky enough to have parents with a little land)

I borrowed gear at the time but i'm starting to put together a kit, i've acquired some utensil drainers for hobo stove experiments and a free 70l ruck sack, i'm now looking at getting a sleeping bag.

I'd like the option of camping throughtout most of the year, my friends may not be up for it but i figure/hope i may end up at meets/get togethers with BCUK members.

What are you recommendations?
I've seen the issue bags mentioned a few times and i'm watching a few on ebay, do i go for the jungle or arctic variety? what's a good amount to spend?

Is it silly to get a great cold weather bag if i intend to use hammock/tarp and may need alternative means of keeping warm (underblanket/coccoon???)?

Thanks for any advice!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've got a 58 pattern issue bag for £30 from my local surplus place, well worth the money. For summer use i use the issue jungle bag which was £30. The jungle bag will NOT be warm enough in the winter. I used mine last month but inside a bivvi bag and felt slightly cool in it and i sleep hot tbh.

HTH

Andy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've got an Arctic issue bag with goretex bivvy and for summer just a cheapy thin one with stuffbag. Sometimes I don't even bother with a bag in the summer.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hello Greenbeast,

Welcome to the forum,

I don't think you'll go wrong with either a 58 pattern bag, a current GS sleeping bag or the current Arctic Issue bag. All of them are great sleeping bags for not much money and will provide a really good start for you camping out. I'd buy the warmest one you can afford currently. It's easy to ventilate a warm sleeping bag in summer by opening the zip but it's hard to make a lightweight bag warmer in the colder months. For this reason I'd avoid the issue 'jungle' bag especially as the UK is heading into the late Autumn and winter months.

Hope this helps

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Alright fella

You can't go wrong with a Snugpak or a pattern 58 as mentioned, or any other military bag. I've got a USMC Modular Sleep System by Tennier Industries... the plus side is you get 2 sleeping bags(summer and winter) and a good bivvy bag plus compression sack for about £100. They're rated to -40 when used together, but we all know that's very optimistic. If you put them in the wrong way round and don't snap them together they're very warm and I sleep cold. I like the fact you're getting 2 bags and a bivvy for £100! It all comes down to personal preferance but I'm really happy with mine, I use it all year round with no problems, even in a hammock. Plenty of options out there, don't rush into anything to save slashing out twice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE