first fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
This is nothing much to you pros here, but I finally got around to making primitive fire. Did it with bow and drill and yucca stalk, and it took a few tries….Lots of practice still needed.

P1420105-001_zpsbdamyc2y.jpg

P1420118-001_zpsjf26fspo.jpg

P1420123-001_zpsczyywk3c.jpg

P1420137-001_zps309ovshk.jpg

P1420139-001_zpsoqjxye5o.jpg

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Well done chap!
There's certain moments in a man's life where the sense of purpose and joy , mixes with pride and accomplishment.

It's a great feeling!
Enjoy and well done for persevering

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I will have to keep trying until I succeed with friction fire.
Ive tried and failed twice , I'll choose different woods this time, they say 3rd time lucky...
We re not all pro's here. :)

My primitive fire lighting experience is limited to flint & steel ,but the journey has only just began for me.
Mainly use charcloth or dried King Alfred's cakes to catch the spark, but have been successful with birch bark too.
My first primitive fire felt good too.
I haven't used matches for camp since...

Your post has inspired me to get new wood combination and try again.
Thanks for sharing

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Cracking job! :) there's something about the whole ritual of prepping, drilling and blowing into flame that is so satisfying!

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Leshy, I haven't done the flint and steel thing yet, so we both have a challenge to meet...

Absolutely agree, Tommy, and I think the satisfaction will grow as I get better and am not fumbling and sweating so much....

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Leshy, I haven't done the flint and steel thing yet, so we both have a challenge to meet...

Flint and steel is easier in my opinion.
Preparation is still the key but flint works on good carbon steel even when it's wet.

Keep tinder bone dry though....
Charcloth feels like cheating (too easy), Ive been trying fungi, bulrush, clematis, barks and punk wood.

No sweating required...
😁

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
No worries mate, let me know if you have trouble finding flint...
We get loads down here, it's everywhere...
More than happy to post you some if needed.
ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE